I didn't want my very first post to be a complaint...but

@SmartHomePrimer thank you. I have sent an email. The thing that was weird is that I hadn't done a reboot of the device at all since Friday, however I did move it earlier in the morning which required an unplug, but it was in its final home and had been there for hours, untouched.

Is the admin page at hub_ip_address:8081 available?

Also once this is all resolved and you have it working again or a new hub, do NOT unplug your hub without shutting it down first. It is known to potentially cause issues.

o man, i really hope they can fix it for you and hope your experiences get better. i personally switches from wink to hubitat and have had no issues with it. i love it and hope everyone can have a similar experience as me. hopefully it gets sorted and you can get back to automating your life worry free

3 Likes

You Didn't say if you tried a different power supply.

2 Likes

This - if the LED is just burned out then you should be able to access the device that way.

2 Likes

@Angus_M and @danabw No, that is not available. I tried. :frowning: It isn't the LED light, unfortunately. And I will heed the advice about shutting the hub down first, though I had not had a reboot event in hours prior to the hub dying.

@johnwilliamsoderlund I did try a different power supply. Three of them, in fact. Thanks for mentioning...I keep hoping I've overlooked a simple "DOH" fix. But I don't think I have.

1 Like

Based on this, I'd say it's dead. Sigh. Sorry about this. If it were me, at this stage, I'd definitely be trying wiggling the usb power connector around a little in case it's a bad connection internally. Ah, I dunno. A dumb idea. It's so frustrating when all this effort is undone by failed electronics. It's rare but this is always how it happens grrrrrr.

1 Like

Just another quick idea, you are sure of the ip address? Did you fix it at the router? If not it may have changed when repowering the hub...

I gave it a reserved IP address. I'm sure I'm using the right one. :frowning:

1 Like

:hot_face:

Wow. As I read through the thread I was hoping someone was going to find a solution for you.

I am very sorry to hear about this and just have to say that this is rare and does not accurately portray how awesome this hub really is.

@steve.maddigan thanks...I was hoping but kind of knew what I was dealing with. I had JUST gotten a taste of the awesomeness. I'm not giving up. I'm desperate to say goodbye to SmartThings. I'm still rocking the V1 Kickstarter hub. This thing might be worth money. It's probably like number 17 off the assembly line... came with 2 door sensors, a smartplug and a motion detector...for I think $75.

1 Like

Time to get a bigger hammer. :wink:

Sorry - not funny, but looking for some comic relief in the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The other day I was doing some work (completing my objectives setting for the year ahead) and the wretched cloud system locked up and all the work was lost. So annoying. The only thing that was at all positive was that when I rewrote them, it took a lot less time because I'd already done the thinking. I hope the same applies here when/if you have to rewrite those lost rules again.

And always backup and download the backup on a regular basis!

1 Like

Do you all want to hear the icing on the cake after what happened!!! I crawled BACK under my bed again and fought with 2 switches (one for lights, one for a blanket warmer), as well as the wall outlet, to get them BACK onto SmartThings, just so I could at least turn the lights on and off in the bedroom and be warm while sleeping...you know, normal type comforts.

SIDE NOTE: in case you are wondering, I don't have dedicated overhead lighting in the bedroom...it's one of those homes that wires the switch on the wall to engage the outlet on the other side of the room. The idea is you plug the lamps into the outlet. Problem is that you can't install a dimmer switch in the wall this way, and you can't plug in a dimmer plug and use voice commands with Google...at least in my head that's what I came up with back when I set this up. So my solution was to Install a switch in the wall, that then tells a dimmer lamp module under the bed to turn on, off. At the wall I have the ability to turn lights on and off as we all are accustomed to, but I am also able to "tell google" to turn them on/off, dim, etc. A simple plugging in the lamps into the outlet controlled by the wall switch would have rendered "ok google" incapable as the outlet would only be powered when the wall switch is on. Hopefully that all made sense).

So the icing on the cake is that I suddenly started getting all kinds of alarms about my SmartThings hub being offline. My bedroom lights turned themselves on and off multiple times between 9-10:30pm. I finally had to crawl BACK under the bed and unplug them. I woke up this morning to multiple messages from SmartThings about outages. SERIOUSLY.

I would have been blissfully unaware last night were it not for my personal disaster. I look forward to those days to come...I plan to continue to subscribe to SmartThings for a little while just to enjoy the knowledge it is no more. It can't come soon enough. These kinds of things have become weekly events.

3 Likes

Did you plug something else into the outlet to eliminate a circuit problem, blown fuse etc.

@waynew yes. It's a dead device. I tried every possible thing in getting it to come back to life. Different power sources, different cables, different locations. I appreciate your contribution...I'm learning very quickly that in these forums, what appears to be a simple question leads to some very deep answers that will apply in my situation (such as discovering there is a "Switch Bindings" app). I'm excited to dive back in.

Does this mean we need to have battery backup for the hub?

It's a good idea, here's a popular method.

2 Likes

Yes, and this is exactly the UPS I use on my hubs! It works nicely!