I am looking for zigbee light sensors

I am looking for zigbee light sensors. I don't care of there are other sensors attached but light (lux) is required.

I've found a number of posts here in the community forums but the sensors that I've tried to find seem to not be around anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Eric

The only current name brand Zigbee sensor I'm aware of that includes Lux are both the indoor and outdoor Philips Hue motion sensors.
It does have some limitations on lux reporting frequency (5 minutes, not adjustable), but they are dependable and accurate.

4 Likes

Not an offically compatible illuminance sensor, but there is a community driver for a Xiaomi Mijia light sensor. Xiaomi devices don't like incompatible repeaters and like many Zigbee devices, they will respond very poorly and tend to fall off the network if you have repeating bulbs (e.g. Not Sengled) on the same Zigbee network, so do keep that in mind.

If you keep your Zigbee network free of incompatible repeaters and bulbs, there are some Xiaomi devices that are actually quite stable. I cannot say for sure, but this light sensor might be one if you want to give it a shot. This is a Zigbee 3.0 sensor, but I have no experience with it. You can ask in the community and I'm sure you'll get feedback.

4 Likes

TL;DR; looking to get rid of all non-HE hubs.

Thanks Mike. I think Hue requires its own hub, though, right? I already have too many of those and am working on getting rid of them. I replaced all of my bulbs with Sengled ones and after I have installed an acceptable light sensor, I am going to work on replacing the 2 other hubs that I have for motion switches and motion sensors.

No, you can join Hue Motion sensors directly to HE and get illuminance measurements, motion and temperature.

4 Likes

I used 4 of them for ~7-8 months on a Hubitat with Aqara-compatible repeaters. They never dropped off. Response to changing light is usually under a minute.

So while I agree with all the points you’ve made about Aqara devices, I would recommend these - I just purchased 4 more.

4 Likes

I have 4 of them running directly on HE

2 Likes

I just started using these - have 2 but have paired 1 so far. Seems pretty stable and readings are really quick (using Markus driver).

@aaiyar - Slightly off topic: Mine is currently routing through a Samsung Zigbee plug. Is it just a matter of time before it gets flaky and should I just move the Samsung and replace with the IKEA extender? I have a Centralite plug (only as a repeater) too but that seems pretty much useless - nothing is routing through it.

1 Like

Unlike other Aqara sensors, I’m actually not sure that these will not work with other repeaters. They’re the only zigbee 3.0 Aqara sensors I have.

1 Like

I also have one of these directly connected to my hub:

Has been perfect for me - never fallen off, never caused any issues, just hums along. Very happy with it, and inexpensive.

3 Likes

I'm taking that to meant that these WILL (or may) work with other repeaters :laughing:

1 Like

May. Because there’s no evidence that they won’t!

:joy:

1 Like

Glad to hear you're not not saying what I thought you weren't going to say.

4 Likes

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned my favorite..

Fast response from all sensors and a Zigbee repeater to boot.

4 Likes

I bought 4 of the Xiaomi Mijia light sensors (model GZCGQ01LM) last year from here: ($37 for 4, or $9.25 each)
(these are the same as linked at Banggood above, but that link didn't work for me)

All four of mine were originally on SmartThings, but last month I moved the last of them over to my C-7. I was originally using Marcus' driver on them, but I've switched 2 of them to the newer, simpler unified driver by @chirpy.

They are Zigbee 3.0, but people have reported that these (like the Xiaomi Aqara sensors) can be problematic and drop off. I've not had that happen with any of mine yet, but I also use Ikea smart plugs as repeaters which seems to work well with these.

Overall, these were inexpensive and so far have been very reliable.

2 Likes

I ordered one of them. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have over a dozen. One failed after 8 months and @iharyadi replaced it anyway, even though I told him I didn't feel he should.

4 Likes

I've got two of these - they paired easily but I've yet to get an actual luminance (illuminance?) level report.
I've tried the Markus drivers and these https://github.com/waytotheweb
In both cases (both sensors, both drivers), they show as present, but no light level reading.

I've tried the double-clicking multiple times, placed them a couple feet from the hub, waited a long time, etc.

C5 Hub.

Any thoughts? Again - no issue pairing but just not getting light level reported.

Mine has "just worked" so I don't have a lot of advice on troubleshooting...maybe pull batteries and wait a minute, and then re-insert.

2022-06-08 12_38_34-Chrome Main
2022-06-08 12_39_14-Chrome Main

Strange. Removed battery, removed device, started fresh. Current driver, current hubitat software.
Initialized, double-clicked, placed right next to hub.

Is there more than one place to look for this driver?