Hunter Douglas API

If you are looking for the integration then you can find the app/drivers on my GitHub: GitHub - bujvary/hubitat: My Hubitat apps and drivers

If you are using Hubitat Package Manager you can add my package repository as a custom repository:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bujvary/hubitat/master/packages/repository.json

Hey, got this working over here and noticed that some of the shades have a battery value, while others don't. Haven't dug into it yet (1st check will be the HD android app). They're all battery, nothing's wired.

But as I was starting into the logs I'm noticing repeater 2 & 3 causing some brightness errors?

dev:1212020-10-07 07:26:26.379 pm errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'brightness' on null object on line 70 (handleEvent)

These are the newer round repeaters, connected wireless to the round hub. Nothing seems to be malfunctioning, shade-wise. Repeater 1 does not show that error. The error isn't constant, but seems to be spaced 10 minutes apart, and then not every 10. It does seem to only issue the error when there's been shade activity.

I'll poke at the Blink and LED color settings to see if that results in any changes. I have the repeaters configured not to blink or show any lights, as they're in places where the light would be annoying at night.

Can you run the following in your browser and provide the responses:

http://[powerview hub ip]/api/shades

http://[powerview hub ip]/api/repeaters

PM sent.

I'm noticing the difference between the shades with battery and those without is the firmware.

One without battery reporting (here or in HD android app) has firmware 1.2.1519 and motor firmware 0.0.128.

One with battery data had 1.3.1522 and the same motor firmware.

These both being Duette top-down shades. Where the top comes down, only, not the bottom up. We have several rooms with that due to the fact that the architect made the windows just 3/4" too narrow to support a full top-down/bottom-up combo. We have some of those in other rooms, where the window width was wide enough.

Is the firmware field-upgradable? Or does it require removing the board and sending it back to HD?

As for the error, I went into the app details for the repeaters that had been throwing the error and toggled their blink and color values. Basically set/unset the values. The error 'seems to' have stopped. I'm guessing there might have been a value that was/wasn't set as expected, thus the error. But I'll try it some more tomorrow to see if I can provoke the error again.

I added code to the repeater driver to check for a null value for brightness. If brightness is null the level will be set to 0. This will at least prevent the error from occurring.

Based on what you said it appears this value is not initialized until you go into the app and set a brightness level.

If you installed via HPM then you can run an update to get the latest version.

1 Like

Looking at the data you provided the hub is returning 0 for the battery strength for several of the shades. I'm not sure if the firmware level has anything to do with the battery strength reading.

In the Powerview app if you go to the hamburger icon, then Shades, you'll get a list of your shades. All of the shades should have a green battery icon. If not select a shade with that doesn't have green battery icon to get to it's settings. You should see a refresh icon for Battery Level. Try to refresh the battery level and see what you get.

I'm not sure if the firmware is field-upgradable, that's a question for HD.

I did load it using HPM, and have just used the update function.

If I rename shades or set up new scenes, is there a way to re-discover these? Or do I have to delete the setup and re-create it? It's not the sort of thing I expect to do often but it's handy to be able to keep the source data in the devices as the 'authoritative' source rather than have to update them separately. Homeseer does this with a Lutron plug-in and it's handy.

Also how are you handling shades and voice commands?

I've debated this for a while, but never pursued it for lack of a shades interface into the system I've been using. My thought was treat them like a light, as the Amazon Alexa service lets you set lights based on a percentage. For most folks this would work, just remember which you're treating as on or off. 100% for a light is easy to understand/remember. But what's 100% for a shade? 100% open? Or 100% closed? iirc, Lutron treats shades as percentage being passed light, so 100% is fully open.

Then, of course, there's the hassle of using names that aren't impossible to speak/remember. I've got one room that has five shades. Living Room Front Left/Center/Front and then Side Left/Right. Just doesn't quite roll off the tongue saying "Alexa, set Living Room Front Left to 50%".

I do have scenes for Open, Night, Day and Privacy. The latter being where I set top-down motion shades to lower from the top enough to let light pass, but not high enough to not let pedestrians see inside.

It gets more interesting as I have some dual-motion shades that have both top-down and the more traditional bottom-up motion. Two in the home office, his and hers adjacent to our desks. That naming gets even more clunky, "Bill's Office Upper" and "Bill's Office Lower" and likewise for my wife's shade. They're set differently as we don't want the same amount of light-passing.

And it gets even more nuanced as the sunlight angle changes during the year, so what works for top-down opening amounts in the winter, doesn't work for summer. Vice versa for the bottom as the winter sun angle drops lower.

So I'm looking forward to experimenting with this app and our shades!

If you go into the Hunter Douglas Powerview app in your Hubitat hub and click on "Manage Devices" it will query the Powerview hub for all of it's devices and scenes. When you click "Done" on the "Manage Devices" screen the HD Powerview app will create any devices and scenes for anything that currently does not have a Hubitat device or scene associated to it. It does not delete old device or scene names that you may have renamed on the Powerview hub.

I don't use voice commands for my shades but Alexa skill does support shades natively now.

Does it rename existing devices? And keep the 'behind the scenes' integration with the rest of the Hubitat setup? I ask only because I haven't yet tried. And if it doesn't, that's not a big deal, I don't have so many that I can't do the edits manually.

Ah, good to know about native support. Does this app and Hubitat expose them via Alexa in a compatible fashion?

No it does not. I don't plan on adding that.

1 Like

Nice. I had to make a similar request to the Lutron plug-in author on Homeseer. To have a way to re-do the import without having to delete or rename everything. I have ~150 different Lutron devices... so the lack of a dynamic import feature has been a show-stopper keeping me from digging more into Hubitat.

It's things like integration across many devices that gets my interest going. Homeseer has a ton of it, but their event handling scheme is... interesting to configure. I have bang my head against the keyboard every time I want to set up something because of their logic structure. I get /why/ they do it that way... but, ugh... it's a headache most of the time (for me anyway).

I may use your plug-in here to tackle the sun position/seasonal hassle with the shades. I don't need to have calculations based on sun ascension, as I can probably just fake it with some additional scenes. The key will be having their triggering being controlled by date ranges instead of just time of day as the HD app allows. Four scenes, "Office Day Summer|Spring|Fall|Winter" would probably suffice. Then I'll just have to re-check the dates for the equinoxes and such to handle the start/stop brackets.

The HD shades driver implements both the "Switch Level" and "Window Shade" capabilities so the shades should respond to Alexa voice commands once you include the shades in the Amazon Echo Skill app.

The app here on the Hub? And that's the App, not the Skill?

Because when I look in the Amazon Echo App here on the Hub I only see the shade Scene names listed in the selectable devices (not the shades themselves). How is a scene controllable via voice?

Sorry if this is a barrage of dumb questions, thanks for your patience.

You need the app on the hub side and the skill on the Alexa side.

Here's the info on how to set it up:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Amazon_Echo_Skill

1 Like