Humidity Devices

Anyone have rules that are triggered by humidity, if so what devices are you using?

I tried setting a Zooz 4-1 sensor up to trigger the exhaust fan to come on when taking a shower and the humidity increases, but so far from my experience the Zooz 4-1 only seems to report a humidity readings only when no motion is present no matter what I have the trigger set to in the driver. Therefore the rule doesn't run until after the shower and you are no longer in the room.

After looking at the officially at Hubitat's supported "compatible devices" the ONLY device listed specifically supported as a humidity sensor is the Smartthings 3310-S . Searching Amazon, Ebay, and Google I'm not able to even see that this device available for purchase, Any ideas?

I do. I use the Xiaomi Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor (WSDCGQ11LM). Works ok.

I may have to give one of those a shot, does it use a generic driver?

It uses this driver from this post.

Warning - I have all my Aqara devices and Tradfri devices on a hub by themselves. Aqara doesn't mix with other zigbee stuff very well.

Ahh, I may hold off then as I don't have any Aqara devices currently

I use Aqara for temp and humidity. Just make sure they are either talking directly with the hub or via a repeater that works with them - Ikea works well, I've read that XBee's work well too. I mainly have Ikea Tradfri repeaters, I moved ST outlet repeaters to areas where I have no Aqara's.

Nyce motion humidity sensor works, Iris 3rd generation motion...

For the zooz, I had to set both humidity and temperature to the minimum level change to get the humidity to report. That ate the battery quickly.

Do these report humidity when motion is active, because the zooz does not no matter what level change I have the driver set to?

Mine did, but I don't have them anymore due to the battery not paying very long.

I love my Iris v3.

What's the model # for those I have the v2's

2 Likes

What @rcjordan said! Probably only on eBay anymore.

1 Like

I too am using a Xiaomi Aqara Temp/Humidity/Pressure sensors. I'm not big on recommending it, becuase it does fall off every so often now, even though there's a Trådfri outlet right next to it.

[Edit] Sorry I didn't notice before that I had linked to the wrong device. Looks like the ST814 is not longer available.

For dedicated sensors that are on the compatible devices list, you can still get the Everspring Z-Wave sensor.

Xiaomi aqara here too. They were enough cheaper versus the next best supported alternative that the cost difference paid for the dedicated hub I put them on...

Bought a batch of 15 for $11/ea shipped off of banggood on some sale.

There is this untested device that seems to be European in origin. Perhaps you'd like to be a forum Guinea pig? :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/c/1656608761

Not for that price. Having my bathroom exhaust fan automatically come on isn't worth an $80 cost

2 Likes

Maybe just forget the smarts then?

You already have a smart switch on the fan? I wanted to keep our Leviton timer in place for mine, because the family was used to it. But my daughter (now no longer living at home) was the only one steaming up the bathroom. I've got one left, but he's a ways from hitting puberty, so at the moment it's not an issue, but it will be I'm sure.

Delivered, my cost for the Insteon micro module I chose to use was $67.30 CAD and the Xiaomi Temp, Humidity, Barometric pressure sensor was $15.83 CAD. So I paid $83.13 ($63.80 USD), plus the cost of a water proof box, and my time getting up in the terrible attic space to install the micro on/off module in crappy low light conditions, balancing on rafters so I didn't fall through the ceiling. Plus I have to relink the Xiaomi every so often. In addition, I bought a Tradfri outlet which was doing more at the time, but really is only serving that sensor now (and not really doing that great of a job for some reason). That was $16.95 CAD additional.

I would probably go with the Panasonic dumb sensor I listed above if I were to do it over.

Right now it cost me $25 for a Lutron Dimmer switch (I know they say not to use dimmers on fans, but it works fine) and I have a $12 Iris V3 Motion/Temp/Humidity sensor ordered this morning on the way to try out for the humidity measurement.

Hmmm, $25 USD for a burned out Lutron Dimmer and around $75-$250 USD for a burned out bathroom exhaust fan? :wink:

@JDRoberts posted on this some years ago. All still valid info.

Lutron dimmers don't support Fast ON like Insteon do as far as I understand. I had an Insteon dimming micro module available, so I could have just set it to use Fast ON, but rather than risk my $300 inline bathroom fan, I ordered the ON/OFF version. Just wasn't worth the risk. Something to consider.

The current fan in there has been there since 1983, so if it "burns out" it's due for an upgrade anyway.

"IF" it does burn out, then I will replace it with the On/Off version but for the Lutron no neutral On/Off switch the cheapest I found was like $60. So I'm taking my chances, and will replace if necessary.

1 Like