Hue Motion sensor

I'm in the process of setting all my stuff up after a move, which is nice and fun (and a lot of work).

Because of that I discovered that my Hue sensors doesn't report the correct Lux level. They seem to be way off. In the professional space, there's usually a way to offset the Lux sensor to match the reality. Would that be possible to add to the driver?

Not really, you will need to do the offset in the rule, though I'm not sure what you're going to use as reference. For me, I just wait to what light seems right then look at the sensor reading and use that for my reference.

1 Like

This hasn't been my experience, but out of interest how is it that you're making this determination?

It's about 120 lux lower than the measurement.
Now, normally I would grab my Lux meter and take a measurement. But as I write this, I'm limited to a free app for my iPhone :smiley:. So I'm taking the measurement with a grain of salt.
But as I have plenty of light coming in, and having the sensor only reporting 30 Lux, I have a small window to adjust.
Could just be me though.

1 Like

lower than what measurement?, a 120 offset at 300 is much different than 120 at 4,000...

1 Like

30 is about the illumination that our Hue Indoor sensor reports with indirect lighting from two windows (in our mudroom). Regardless of whether it is accurate, I do find it to be actionable.

Overall, I take swiss army sensors with a grain of salt. They cannot possibly be positioned in an optimal way to measure multiple things. The orientation for measuring motion almost certainly does not put it in the best position for measuring surface illumination. For some applications, though, it is adequate.

1 Like

As the measurement from the app, as I wrote. Again conceding that it's not 100% accurate, and a lux meter would be preferred, but that's what I have to work with.

As I work with this stuff professionally, I agree with most of what you saying. But many sensors in the professional space are "Swiss army sensors" that can do a variety of things, including offset.
The offset is important because, as you say, the placement can complicate the sensors perceived measurement.

When I took the measurement on my phone and the Hue sensor, the sensor was placed in the ceiling in middle of the room, pointing straight down.

Offsets for Lux aren't going to be linear, so there's no way I'm going to open up that can of worms...
Automation sensors are not lab quality instruments, so trying to tweek them into being such is not practical.

2 Likes

Kinda why I do the, ok this is pretty much where I want my trigger at, lets see where the lux reading for this sensor is. Hmm 72, fine. I'll use 72 as my trigger and be pretty happy with it :rofl:

4 Likes