Hue lights Start Level Change

Thank you for the new options with Hue lights! I have noticed a problem with Start Change Level. The change and stop works but the switch attribute changes to "off" and a refresh does not turn it back on. Sending the On command does update the switch attribute.

The lights I observed this with came in as hueBridgeBulbRGBW and the model is LCT014 with the latest firmware.

I can confirm that this is the case for me too. When using start level change HE doesn't track what the actual switch state or level of the bulb is until a set level command is set again. With polling disabled I'm not sure it's even possible for it to be tracked accurately?

ok, need some specific steps to reproduce..
state of bulb when changeLevel was issued (on or off and level)
change level direction
end result
thanks!

Polling is turned off in the app
With light on at 100%
Start Level Change down
switch attribute immediately goes to off
light starts dimming
stop level change works
switch attribute is still off level says 100 but isn't really and light is on,
refresh does nothing, log says it is disabled.

If I turn polling on in the app then the values do appear to refresh on the next poll. It seems to me the stop level change should do a refresh no matter the polling setting and you should always be able to do a manual refresh.

2 Likes

manual refresh is only from the bridge device now.
This was implemented as each individual device poll in the last version caused a refresh for all the bulbs and groups on the bridge, this was too difficult to explain.
I'll look at the change level issue

1 Like

I can confirm that I am seeing the same thing. Moved my cree bulbs over to my new Hue hub on the advice of several folks on the forum and now I'm experiencing the same issue.

Also, I can confirm that a "refersh" of the Hue Hub does not resolve the incorrect level issue. The only thing that does is resetting the level manually. This is really screwing up a ton of automations in my system now. I just finished moving these damn things over and now they're screwing everything up. Should have left them alone.

Are you using the start level change option? The default transition time is 400ms for Hue, the driver defaults to 1 second. If you don't stop the startlevelchange in under 1s it will get to 0 and switch off.

The lowest setting is 500ms. So, the start level change doesn't work for Hue? That doesn't seem right.

Start level will start the level change, uses the transition time (the 400 ms is the hue bridge default time, not the driver time) and in a 1/2 a second it will be off.

Try changing the transition time to 3 or 5 seconds (not milliseconds) and see if you can stop the level change before it reaches 0 and turns the switch off.

I tested this at 5 seconds and as able to start a level change down from 100 and was able to stop the level change 3.

The transition works for me but the light's Switch attribute changes to "off' as soon as i start the change. I have polling turned off in the app so I have to "turn on' the light again to get the correct status

What is the device's transition time set to? 1 second is the driver default. That is barely enough time before it reaches 0.

Try changing it to 3 or 5 seconds and it should work if you issue the stop level command fast enough.

My transition time is 5 seconds, the light dims or brightens correctly but the switch goes to off even though the light is on.

Are you stopping the start level change via another action?

I'm using stoplevelchange to stop it. The switch goes to "off' as soon as startlevelchange is initiated. This is in both the webpage and a Button Controller that I'm using for a remote to control the light

What driver / bulb type?

The driver is hueBridgeBulbRGBW. The Hue hub says the bulb is an LCT014. I'm on the latest firmware on the Hue and Hubitat hubs

I can confirm. The switch changes to off as soon as the transition begins. It also happens when starting the level change up. So, if it had something to do with the transition time, it would not affect the level increasing to 100%. But when I begin adjusting the light up, it immediately shuts off in HE.

@patrick I noticed that there wasn't a fix in the latest release for this issue. Any idea if this is going to be addressed?

@mike.maxwell any thoughts? I can't reproduce with my bulbs.

It happens on both raise and lower with my cree bulbs through Hue hub.