Hue Lights (2.3.2.132 Hub C-7)

For a few years, I've been able to control Hue lights individually, which were well integrated with my primarily other z-wave devices. At night I've got a button next to the bed to turn off all lights. When pressed, the button transitions from evening mode to night mode. Night Mode, in turn, turns off all lights.

When I have guests, I turn off the ability to turn off the Hue lights in the guest room. I want my guests to be in control of the lighting in the room. Sometimes in the last two months, something changed. I can no longer control the Hue lights individually. When I turn one off, they all go off. It doesn't matter if the lights are selected in the app or not.

How can I recover individual control? If more info is required just let me know and I'll do my best to provide it. I'm stumped.

It's hard to say without knowing more about your setup. Places I would start looking include:

• the app that is responding to the button event (I assume that's "the app" you're talking about?). What is it and how is it configured? Looks like you think you only have certain bulbs selected, but it may be worth another look.

• the "In use by" section on the device detail page for the bulb/bulbs that are getting turned off with the above button. It's possible you have another automation that is responding to these bulbs and turning off some others. This will tell you what else it could be.

• looking at Logs while this happen may provide additional clues if this is coming from a Hubitat app and that app has logging enabled--so maybe not, but it can't hurt to try (device logs are unlikely to show much of interest aside from the fact that it's happening, which you know)

• do you have Alexa integrated, and if so, do you have Alexa Hunches turned on? Disabling it may help in case it's doing this because it thinks it's what you want.

I've solved the problem. It was well hidden. As evening arrives, I've got a scene that activates to turn on lights in the house. It took me a while to find the offending command.

The red circle on the scene definition page is for a command to turn off all the scene's devices when the scene is deactivated. I've switched the device Off state (red circle) to "Ignore OFF." That gave me back the individual control over lights associated with that scene.

2 Likes