Hue downlight flickers when powered on

So I came here to try to determine why my hue down lights flicker when being turned on either via a rule or through the device page itself. I'm not using any bridge the hue light is connected directly to HE.
So while trying to capture a video of the flickering I decided to change some of the settings on the hue downlight, and I discovered if you set the "level transition time" to ASAP, at least on my setup it causes the light to flicker when you turn it on from the hub. I set the level transition time to 1 second and now it's working perfectly.

I know historically bulbs have been labeled as bad repeaters but I'll tell you what the new zigbee 3.0 hue bulbs appear to be excellent repeaters based on the zigbee map

app by Dan Denache

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience but I thought I'd share cuz it brought me to the point of wanting to rip out all the lights.
The tip may even be in the docs, who knows.

I remember there being some weirdness when turning on Hue lights directly connected to the HE hub. I donโ€™t remember flickering, but remember the lights initially coming on with a greenish hue. This was several years ago when I was experimenting with removing my Hue bridge. I decided that it was a terrible idea and if I wanted fewer features from my lights, I would spend less money and buy Sengled. I now have 2 Hue bridges.

Are your Hue lights the newer Zigbee 3.0 type? I'm the guy who said I rip my eyes out before paying 60.00 for a lightbulb, but the newer Hue Zigbee 3.0 are powerful as repeaters. I'm still testing as most of my downlights are Sylvania, and they work mostly great. Occasionally I need to power cycle them, maybe once a month as they get in a funk state and won't respond, but they come right back, no pairing needed. I think my biggest problem is they are all installed in metal recessed fixtures, that I installed in 2000 when I had no idea about Zigbee.

I've got 10 of the Hue and if the 1 hue I installed to test stays solid for a month or so, I might be swapping out my downlights. Unless like the Hue dimmers, item #2 kills the fun

1 Like

I have a mix of Hue lights, but most are Zigbee 3.0 bulbs. Iโ€™m not willing to give up the power failure recovery settings that the bridge saves to the bulb as our bedroom lights are all Hue. Also, bulbs can be a bit chatty (especially since I am using Adaptive lighting) and I have over 60 Hue lights. I still have all of my Sylvania downlights, but never have any problems with them (in metal cans also). I do have GE Zigbee dimmers and switches interspersed on the same mesh though.