Hue Dimmer Switch

Hi Everybody,

New user here and first question, I have started to migrate over from smart things have the first room I am migrating is my sitting room, I have migrated over a couple of light bulbs and a couple of hue dimmers as well as a hue motion sensor.

The questiuon I have is aorund the dimmer switched, on smartthings I was using a custom device handler which seemed to work well, when migrating them into hubitat I didnt need to use any custom code or device handlers which was great however it seems the dimmers are missing some functionaility that used to exist within smartthings.

As people know they will have buttons 1, 2, 3 & 4, it seemds buttons 2 and 3 are the only buttons that support the held option.

On Smarthings I rely purely on Webcore and for a quick migration I wanted to port accross my devices and use my current webcore pistons, I have them turning the lights on and off ok but I did have a piston that if I held Button 4 on dimmer 1 then it would take multiple actions within one piston, This dimmer is located at the front of my sitting room before the stairwell to take you up stairs.

Just to give you an idea, it would turn off all downstairs devices and turn on a couple of lights to get up stairs and and put timers on them, here is the piston to give you an idea.

Is there a possbility of getting the dimmer switch to act like it did in smartthing with having buttom 1 & 4 support the Held function as well as the push function?

Welcome @derek.breydin.

I too use the hold option on the off button in almost entirely the same way, off turns off my living room lights, but held in turns off an entrance light and garage below the lounge room. Sadly I do not believe the developers of the built in driver could access this signal, either it was handled by the hue bridge in some way, I can't remember, will need to find the post for you.

For this reason (and others) I have chosen to keep my lights and accessories on my hue bridge, but your setup and circumstances may be different.

Hope this helps...

Simon

@sburke781 Thanks.

I thought the functionality as part of the hue system was quite limited too, it was only when I went to smartthings I discovered I could do it, it 100% fucntions that havent been built into the standard driver for hubitat as the hue remote does support push and hold on the 4 button's. it worked within the custom device handler for smartthings too.

I am wondering if there is a custom driver similair to the device handler in smarthings for this remote that would bring that functionality back, or if there is a place we can request that feaure to be added to the standard driver, not sure how hard it would be for the custom device handler for smart things to be ported onto hubitat (I am not a developer so dont really know)

I'm pretty sure this question has been raised a few times, was just trying to find the reference from when I have discussed it in the past. If I find it I'll provide a link, but I'm pretty sure there was some limitation that prevented the built in driver from detecting this long hold...

1 Like

Thanks, I did have a search and read a couple of threads before posting but could see it. bit of a bummer though as that was great functionaility to have!

I agree. There a couple of old threads, and some new, that talk about various pros and cons for keeping the lights on the hue bridge, you may also have some luck there. I have used an app called All 4 Hue to give me more fine-grained control of rules on the hue bridge, which may be an option...

I might tag @bertabcd1234, he confirmed my suspicion on this in another topic. I thought I had also read a post somewhere by Mike indicating they couldn't get access to the held and release events when coding the driver. @bertabcd1234 - do you have anything else you could add?

1 Like

I can't add anything since I've never personally looked at the traffic from those device on either Hue or Hubitat. Mike would be a better source since. I'm sure he did when writing the driver. I'm pretty sure he said only buttons 2 and 3 sent messages on hold and release. I'm positive that he also said button 1 didn't send different events for successive pushes (which no one asked about here but often do :slightly_smiling_face:).

If ST could do it, though, I wonder if there are different firmware versions of these puppies out in the wild. If you had a custom DTH on ST, if you linked to it here, someone could at least look at the code and see what it does.

2 Likes

Hi,

Here is the device handler from smartthings.

And the specific part of code with the buttons.
def buttonName

// Name of the button
if ( button == 1 ) { 
    buttonName = "on"
}
else if ( button == 2 ) { 
    buttonName = "up" 
}
else if ( button == 3 ) {
    buttonName = "down" 
}
else if ( button == 4 ) { 
    buttonName = "off" 
}

// The button is pressed, aka: pushed + released, with 0 hold time
if ( buttonState == 0 ) {
    result = [createEvent(name: "button", value: "pressed_" + buttonName, data: [buttonNumber: buttonName], descriptionText: "$device.displayName button $button was pushed", isStateChange: true)]
    sendEvent(name: "lastAction", value: buttonName + " pressed")
} 
// The button is pressed, aka: pushed + released, with at least 1s hold time
else if ( buttonState == 2 ) {
    result = [
    createEvent(name: "button", value: "pushed_" + buttonName, data: [buttonNumber: buttonName], descriptionText: "$device.displayName button $button was pushed", isStateChange: true),
    createEvent(name: "button", value: "released_" + buttonName, data: [buttonNumber: buttonName], descriptionText: "$device.displayName button $button was pushed", isStateChange: true)
    ]
    sendEvent(name: "lastAction", value: buttonName + " pushed")
    sendEvent(name: "lastAction", value: buttonName + " released")
} 
// The button is released, with at least 1s hold time. This code happens after the button is held
else if ( buttonState == 3 ) {
    result = [
    createEvent(name: "button", value: "released_" + buttonName, data: [buttonNumber: buttonName], descriptionText: "$device.displayName button $button was pushed", isStateChange: true)
    ]
    sendEvent(name: "lastAction", value: buttonName + " released")
} 
// The button is held
else if ( buttonHoldTime == 8 ) {
    result = [createEvent(name: "button", value: "held_" + buttonName, data: [buttonNumber: buttonName], descriptionText: "$device.displayName button $button was held", isStateChange: true)]
    sendEvent(name: "lastAction", value: buttonName + " held")
} 
else {
    return
}
return result

As the original post states I use webcore for all my automations on smart things, when you put full logging on you could see the pushed and held events being written to the logs when doing so for the 4 buttons and not just the middle 2.

As for these dimmers there is 2 variants of the hardware and there is later firmware too so that could be the reason, updated the dimmers by connecting them to the hue system around 2 months ago and have the RWL021 model, not the earlier RWL020, both look identifcal but as you say not sure about what has changed along the way in firmware and could be the reason the driver doesnt have the pushed\held state for button 1 & 4 but would be good if the driver could be updated with this as it gives these remotes a little more functionaility. I could use a work around and use button 2 or 3 for the pushed and held state as I have another webcore piston that deals with turning the lights on and off and dimming them up and down and these all use the pushed state but it means retraining the wife and kids which can sometimes be painful in itself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Was wondering if there is a place in the subforum you can requuest features\updates to drivers, would be good to have this functionailty added as it is possible I suspect.

Is anyone else finding their Hue Dimmer switches are dropping offline since firmware 2.2.4.158.

Almost daily now I’m having to do the ‘4 fingered’ reset to get the switch working again

Mine are working OK but I’m still on .156.

Tomorrow (daytime) I’ll do the update.

@guy.mayhew @BiGs

Are you still having issues?

I’m on the latest with no Hue dimmer issues. I have found the Hue dimmers to be the least reliable as far as staying connected. Just the act of doing an update and rebooting is generally what makes them act up. I haven’t had any issues between updates and they seem to be better the longer it’s been since a reboot. They were a nightmare back when I was having to reboot my hub d/t slowdowns.

Hi,

I’d mirror what Ken has said, it’s firmware updates and general hub reboots that seem to through them off - I’ve switched this out for a Lutron Pico now as they are very rock solid. I just had this one Philips Dimmer linked to HE to control a ZWave bathroom light (and I wanted it to match all my other Hue Dimmers in the house which work great on the Hue Bridge - it seems that isn’t possible!)

I didn’t update yet (busy daytime, and I always avoid nighttime updates).

As soon as I do, I will report.

So you have no issues on 156 with the hue dimmer? never have to rejoin? what brand of repeaters do you have?

I have several of them linked to the Hue hub, and find that occasionally, they become non-responsive. If I mash and hold the buttons a bunch of times, the connected lights start responding; then things will work properly for a while.

Since I have these problems with them on the Hue hub, I suspect the issue is with the button controllers themselves, not the HE DH.

never had an issue with the 10 I have connected to hue bridge, I saw they were supported so I moved one to see if its worth it currently its not which is a shame

Never had issues on .156 and after updating to .158 they continue to respond and be fully reliable.

I am currently using more than eight and find them absolutely reliable.

Mine is a mesh mostly depending on Zigbee devices all throughout my home with lots of them acting as repeaters. (And a few Z-Wave.)

I believe that when failing, it is not an issue of the Hue 4 button dimmer, it is an issue of the local mesh (or the battery).

1 Like