Hue dimmer switch quandary

Hi all this is my first post since receiving my hubitat hub and wanted to know if I could run a routine but only at night everytime the Phillips hue dimmer switch is turned off.
Example,in the evening at sunset the landing light turns on at 25%. Now I have a hue dimmer at the top and the bottom of the stairs,now say my wife goes upstairs she would turn on both the hallway and the landing light with one touch of the dimmer then when she returns downstairs she would turn it off. But then the landing light would go off as well so I'm asking if anyone knows a way to leave the landing light on after either the hallway or landing dimmer had been switched off.
Many thanks in advance for any support with this.
Kev

Make a rule that turns the lights off in they way you want and restrict it to those times of day.

Trigger: OFF Button 1 (or whatever the off button is) is pressed

IF - Mode is [Evening]
AND
Button 1 (or whatever the off button is) is pressed THEN
Turn OFF (the lights you want to turn OFF in the evening)
ELSE IF - NOT (Mode is [Evening])
AND
Button 1 (or whatever the off button is) is pressed THEN
Turn OFF (the lights you want to turn OFF when it's not evening)
END IF

Is your Hue Dimmer paired directly to Hubitat? If so, something like the above should work. If it's paired to Hue, those devices are not exposed by Hubitat's Hue integration (and really wouldn't work very well if they were--it would rely on polling since there's no way for Hue's HTTP API that Hubitat is using to "push" these events in real time to Hubitat).

If it is paired to Hue, you should be able to pair it to Hubitat and re-create a similar automation to what you had in Hue while adding the above change; things you can do natively on Hue with a Hue Dimmer that are harder to set up on Hubitat are scene cycles with multiple button presses (possible but not easy without third-party code) and natively accessing Hue scenes (not possible with the stock integration but could be re-created as Hubitat scenes or by just setting the bulbs/groups how you want when needed). Native HomeKit support, possible on Hue with a v2 Bridge or later, would of course also stop working.

Just thought I'd mention these possibilities since I'm not sure how you were originally using the Dimmer. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for both your inputs into this.
I'm new to hubitat so I you'll have to bare with me.
All my dimmer switches are currently paired through the hue hub and I'm not sure how to pair them to hubitat🤔
Any ideas

Cheers kev

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Join_and_Reset_Instructions#Philips_Hue

If you have trouble "Leaving the Zigbee Network", hold the setup button for 10 seconds to reset the dimmer.

Thanks for that,so am I right in saying that after I've paired the dimmer do I use rule machine to set it up. :thinking:

Cheers kev

You can use RM or the button controller app. RM is more flexible and has the same button controller stuff.

I'm not trying to tread on anybodys toes here, but I'm sure I read somewhere the Button controller was going purely because it has been integrated into RM4.0.
I may have dreamt it though but thought I would mention it.

:smile:

@bobbles I believe Bruce did say something like that. Like most old rules though, they should always carry over even if the thing goes away. I think RM route is certainly a better way to go as you hinted.

Many thanks everyone for your advise.
This I'll try and link the dimmer to HE tomorrow and if successful try and setup my first rule :tada::tada::tada:

Cheers kev

1 Like

One problem you will have is that the button can now do so many things other than just turning a light on or off. They can become a way to control so many things so the images on the button could become meaningless. My better half is always asking "what does this button do now". Get buy-in from anyone else involved and have them choose what some buttons do.

1 Like

The other half just likes on and off so really all the bells and whistles would be my choice but having the lights revert back to there last state after the off button has been pressed is what I'm aiming for.

Cheers kev

All my hue dimmers are on Button Controller 1.6 with the exception of 1 that is on 3. All work perfectly. RM will definitely open up far more possibilities.

So Caz can you help me out with the rule I'm trying to build,i really could do with some guidance on this if poss.
How are yours configured.

Cheers kev

I'd be happy to help if I can. I have one setup to toggle 4 different lights, another has 3 scenes and a fan(outlet) on it, 1 controls 2 lights together with dimming and I thought I had a 4th but for the life of me cannot remember.

Edit: Actually the one that controls 4 different lights is actually 3 lights and a scene.

Hi Caz sorry about that late reply I'm currently renovating our kitchen.
It might be Sunday evening UK time before I get the chance to sit down and have a fiddle.

Many thanks Kev.

1 Like

Hi all as you all know I'm trying to setup a rule on my hue dimmer,now the simple rule of turning the light on with button one and turning off with button 4 works fine. I then set button 4 to also dim the light to 25% which works but this overides the off command on button 4. This is ok too at the moment,now what I can't setup is for button 4 to only dim the light to 25% between 9pm-5am when I do this i get a unexpected error. Then when I press done the box in grey saying manage or create conditions says false in orange when am I right it's supposed to say true in green.
Cheers Kev.

I'd suggest showing how your rule (or button actions) are set up. In general, the actions for each button are just an ordered script, so if you want to restrict something from happening under certain conditions (time, whether the light is on or off, etc.), you'll need conditionals, which you can create on the fly when creating an IF or choose a pre-made conditional you can make in the "Manage or create conditionals" section. The "True" or "False" there just shows you whether that condition currently evaluates to true or fasle to help you when creating them; neither is necessarily a problem (or not) unless you see a value you don't expect.

Cheers for the info but I've sorted it first rule done on hubitat :tada::tada::tada::tada:
Check me.
I do find it harder than smarthings to program but I'm sure if I keep tinkering I'll get better

Many thanks Kev

1 Like