Hello fellow HE enthusiasts. My birthday is coming up and my wife keeps asking me what I want. Most birthdays in the last few years have been smart home gear. It has been a few years since I started this journey, and I have accumulated a fair amount of stuff. Currently, everything works great and I am now looking to add some features. Every switch/dimmer in my house is smart (mostly GE/Jasco, Inovelli, and some Lutron), I also have a smart bridge pro and use picos. Not a single bulb in my house is smart and/or coloured. In the past I have thought of adding some Sengled coloured bulbs for times when I would like coloured bulbs, but I am thinking that maybe I should go with a hue bridge and hue bulbs. I have a few questions:
- The hue bridge is recommended/required? Does it simply hook up to your network with an Ethernet cable, similar to Lutron?
- How do hue bulbs deal with the switch on the wall killing power to the bulb? Does this work seamless or do you remove the switch, hardwire the light fixtures, and put a pico in its place?
- I also have several zigbee devices (outlets, window sensors, and some ikea tradfri), is there any issues with 2.4 ghz network saturation?
- Other than being able to add colour to a few lighting spots in my house, what other improvements/features might a hue hub add?
- I would like to add colour to the front porch lights, any issues with hue bulbs outdoors in Canadian winters?
Any feedback on the above questions, or feedback concerning the hue and hubitat is appreciated.