Hubitat with Nvidia Shield and Logitech Harmony hub

Hi!

I'm designing a smart home and am looking for a locally controlled hub with Zwave.
Hubitat seems like a good option (hoping the app will roll out soon), but since there is no WIFI and no official support is listed - I wonder if I can integrate my Logitech Harmony hub and my Nvidia Shield in my home automation using the Hubitat.

Would appreciate any information on this matter.

Thanks!

Welcome @shunem. Usually Hubitat is connected into your wifi router via a LAN connection, as it doesn't contain a wifi chip. It instead has a Z-Wave and Zigbee radio.

Most of the officially supported products are z-wave/zigbee, with a few local integrations for things like Philips Hue, Lutron, etc, and a few cloud connections like IFTTT, Google Home, Alexa etc. A lot of local integrations use unofficial api methods which the team aren't supporting officially but the community is great at providing ways and means.

Example: [Release] Logitech Harmony Hub Driver v0.1.20190723

The harmony hub can control the Shield i think, as well as it can host other things like Plex for you to connect to. You won't find these integrations with official support, but the community is fantastic.

Edit: Oh there is an Android and IOS app already as well, which allows for push notifications, geolocation, and access to a control dashboard. Hubitat doesn't use an app to configure the automations, their philosophy is to keep configure and control separate.

4 Likes

Can confirm.

Sure does. Lots of cool community authored and supported "apps" for Hubitat that make the Harmony / Shield combo pretty great.

Not only can you integrate your Shield, but you can use whats playing to control your lighting. When I start a movie, all of the lights in the room go off. When I pause the movie, a few lights go on very dim. When I stop the movie, the lights go on brighter. You can use that info to trigger any other automation you like, or be a condition that prevents other automations from happening.

I run Plex Media Server with Kodi front end on the Shield using PlexKodiConnect add-on for Kodi. Hubitat has a Plex Communicator app that uses webhooks to get the status of the Shield. And the same developer also wrote a Media Scene app. jebbett (Jake) · GitHub

3 Likes

Thank you all!
Sounds like it can do everything i need :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any one got this working ? It looks like the code is for SmartThings and not ported to Hubitat, but I could be wrong, I get an error message

What code are you referring to, specifically? If you're trying to get my Harmony Hub driver up and running, probably best to post your questions in the dedicated thread below. This driver was written specifically for Hubitat and will not run on ST.

This code : [quote="ckronengold, post:4, topic:24074"]
jebbett (Jake) · GitHub
[/quote]. I would think it does what I want.

I use the Logitech Harmony driver and it works wonderfully, but I would like to know when the Nvidia Shield is paused to dim the lights back up and back down when the movie resumes. I haven't found a way to do that yet.

thank-you

1 Like

You need to use the PlexCommunicator webhooks.
You'll tell it which plex to monitor and what to do with the events that it sees.

Yes, this is the ported version of the same application, I just haven't loaded to GitHub or put a proper post on here about it, enjoy!

Ok, the app seems to work (after setting the Mediascene Oauth) but I'm not sure how to configure the webhooks, I will have to look into that later. Thank-you

I'll post a screenshot of my rule tonight if you haven't gotten it working yet.

I didn't get to work on it this weekend, If you could give me a hand in setting it up I would greatly appreciate it.

Yannick

First question -- are you a PlexPass user? You need to have a PlexPass to use webhooks. Beyond that, there's not much to do with the webhook itself.

Get the webhook out of the Plex Communicator app, and just drop it into the Plex settings.

From there, the rest of the setup is in MediaScene.

Create a room or rooms that you want to control based on the Plex state. Pick your Plex device that will be "listened to." Pick the switches / dimmers / etc that you want to control, and give them a value for each of the states. Mine is very simple. I don't use modes or momentary switches. Just Play, Pause, and Stop.

1. Yes I use PlexPass.

I will set it up tomorrow,

Thanks again for your help !

Yannick

If you use PlexPass, its just a matter of knowing where to get the info you need and where to paste it. Other than that, its no different than setting up any other light.

@jebbett did an awesome job making these apps for plex in hubitat.

1 Like

I Installed the Plex communicator app and driver in hubitat, created the Plex device to use the driver. But the App doesn't show up in the App section. Usually when you install an app it appears in the app section but I can't see it.

Forget what I wrote, I was having brain fog ! I'm back to normal, got the app running :wink:

1 Like

Congrats! Now go do some cool $h!t with it and share your implementation!

Thank-you ! Works like a charm. I'll work on something and post back when I'm done :wink: