Hubitat with Homemade Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensor

What is the recommended way to remove dust from this? Also, will a lightdim have any adverse effects?

I do not remove dust on mine. It has not giving me any issue. All components on the module is safe to wash. The only sensor that is not washable is BME280. This is the temperature, humidity and pressure sensor. It require air flow therefore it will always exposed to dust. I have seen any degradation on mine so far. Perhaps, if you expose it in unusually high dust area, it could experience issue. Any sensor like this will have issue as they need air flow to do its work. Now, you can use membrane to enclose the sensor. I have nor seen any manufactures that does this for consumer use.

I am not quite understand about this. The light has negligible impact to the longevity of the module. If you imply that dark area is humid, BME280 is one of the best sensor that take care of humidity drift available in the market. I know that many other sensor have manual heater that you have to control to reduce humidity accumulation. BME280 could have handle the automatic heater internally. As developer, we do not need to do anything.

Thanks. It will get a lot of fine feather dust from my amazon and cockatoo. Can I hit it with compressed air from a distance?

The Lightdims I was referring to are dark translucent film stickers meant to darken LEDs. Specifically I want to know if there are any components near the LED that I need to be careful not to cover with such a sticker.

It is a neat approach to the problem.
However, reed switches are notorious for their unreliability. I have worked with tons of them in that past and they fail at the worst times. I don't design with them at all now.
A better choice would be a shaft position encoder. There are all kinds of them. They are simple and VERY reliable. It can be as simple as a coded tape on the shaft of the pulley hub to a digital encoder connected to your pulley shaft.
I have two rollup doors on my horse barn that I will be adding encoders to for the same purpose as you. This way I can tell exactly how far open the doors are at anytime. We leave them slightly ajar periodically for ventilation but close them at night.
Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Everything the modules except the bme280 should be able to handle the blow from compressed air. We are of course not defining the pressure. But, I am assuming that it is typical cleaning blower. The air flow on the BME280 is quite small. I can see that small particle could potentially enter the sensor and accumulate. However, this would take a long time and small particle. I am not sure feather dust from bird is small enough. If you are concern about it, BME280 mentions about using membrane. I have never tried to enclose my sensor with a membrane. I am just concern that it is a costly wrapper that would allow air and humidity pass through. This could get costly real quick.

I would not worry about this at all. The energy consume and translated to light is so small to have any issue.

I will see what mine will last for. I consider other options as well. But, I roll the dice and think that worst come worst the reed switches are maintenance item. We can track the usage and replace them before it failed. My primary goal is to use something simple for simple installation.

The next thing I consider was hall effect sensor. This does not break easily and use the same configuration. I did not go this route as each hall effect sensor need 3 wires (vcc,gnd and signal) vs the simple 2 wires. But, if you are looking for reliability, hall effect sensor as replacement is the way to go.

The shaft position is actually the inspiration for what I did. I study a relative encoder on how it works. I think it is simple enough to handle the signal by the hub. It is a very slow rotation anyway. I do not want to deal on doing the encoder mounting. So, my idea is to adapt the garage door pully as the encoder.

Not sure if you're still active on this project @iharyadi I ordered two sensors last month and am quite excited about them for my project.

I have some questions about temp update. I am using the sensors in a controller for a tissue culture chamber, illuminance updates rapidly, but it seems that temperature only updates maximum once every 30-60s.

Digging through this thread you mention that the bme280 is getting temperature every 0.2s, does this not get pushed to the hubitat immediately like the illuminance?

Is there any way to make it so that the temp value updates more often on the hubitat? The controller I'm building needs to be quite aggressive.

1 Like

You need to factory reset the sensor. First unplug the sensor from any power. Then, press the button on the back and plug the power back on the sensor. Keep holding the button for 10 to 12 seconds. Finally, release the button and start pairing the sensor.

This will sample the temperature and humidity at higher rate.

In this mode, the sensor may experience self heating. The temperature may be 1 to 2 degree Celsius higher. You can offset this in the DTH.

Awesome I'll give it a go, thanks for the quick reply.

Would be interested in a summary/pictures of that when done.

Welcome to the Hubitat community. It's great to have you.
Happy New Year. :grinning:

I have the same situation in my horse barn as well.
I've been looking for a good sensor to use for it. Most of the commercial ones are extremely expensive.

Hello @iharyadi

I am really interested in sound level detection. Doesn't have to be any particular sound. Is it possible to make a version of this sensor with audio detection? Maybe do a survey to see if others are interested in this feature. I know that @cwwilson08 is.

Many thanks!

@aaiyar,

It looked that below should do the job. You can use the analog input of Hubduino or the Environment Sensor. The impression that I got is that this module will properly present the SPL (sound pressure level) that it sense. This will give us a meter of a sound which we care about as a human.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/dfrobot/SEN0232/8122314?utm_adgroup=Evaluation%20Boards%20-%20Expansion%20Boards%2C%20Daughter%20Cards&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Development%20Boards%2C%20Kits%2C%20Programmers_NEW&utm_term=&utm_content=Evaluation%20Boards%20-%20Expansion%20Boards%2C%20Daughter%20Cards&gclid=Cj0KCQjw06OTBhC_ARIsAAU1yOVYHBDWRBpX5HPpoXGQ_gYmCsKCGBrfq_il-h_kaAs-SN-qBiJ7FPgaApkzEALw_wcB

It is rather expensive. There should be frequency weighted band filter in it. There is a standard for it. The common name of the filter is probably "a weighted filter (something like that)".

There are digital microphones with built in filter that interface with I2S. I think one or two of them may have the standard filter. Using this kind of microphone, you may just need a simple DSP work to integrate the samples within a window to get a standardized SPL measurement. I do not remember anymore which specific digital microphone that have the filter.

You could also take a microphone, amplified it and sample it. You can then measure the integration of the signal within a window. This may not produce a standard SPL value. But, you can detect simple sounds like a clap (sound/no sound).

I hope this help.

1 Like

@aaiyar - There was another user a while back that @iharyadi and I assisted with measuring sound levels. You may find this thread interesting.

3 Likes

By coincidence, i was just looking at an Arduino sound level project.

2 Likes

@iharyadi,

Hi. Is there any chance to add sensor's version with BME680 (it is shown as RES007 by zigbee2mqtt) to zigbee2mqtt? Thank you.

I believe RES007 has already supported in Hubitat. The physical module that is fitted with BME680 need to be installed to the RES007. The BME child module is very hard to made due to BME680 limited availability.

In HE yes. My unit works just great under HE. I'm talking about 'big' zigbee2mqtt and want to use the module under HA.

The issue with HA is the child module. It will be hard to expose it to HA at this moment. My skill to make the HA driver is not very well at the moment.