Hubitat will NOT die just like WINK

Looking at the new CEO's past, it sure seems to me subscription model is in the future. There be a bare bone free tier, but more and more with these subscription models the free tier offer so little they are barely functional. I suspect the thought is it would encourage people to subscribe, but all it does to me is make me look for an alternative.

I bought a second as a spare because I trust the system.

1 Like

:raised_hands:

Uggh. Same.

Oh come on. Do you really think Hubitat will put existing features behind a paywall? That model hasn’t worked for anyone. And even if they did something that stupid, don’t upgrade your hub. You’ll lose nothing.

I have no objection to them providing new services and features on a subscription model. The still have cloud overhead for remote dashboards and oAuth endpoints. SmartThings is doing this now for camera storage.

3 Likes

I'm sure I'll get a lot of ire from this response so here goes:

Everything changes and dies. If it didn't we wouldn't be here. At some point there will be a change(s) and we will make our decisions accordingly. Nothing is forever.

9 Likes

I certainly hope not. You are right it doesn't work, but that hasn't stopped others from doing it.

Some have stopped doing it and closed up shop because IOT as a service is not profitable.. Lowe's Iris should serve as a warning for any company attempting that business model. Nobody is willing to pay a monthly fee for rules!

4 Likes

TBH if it all goes to hell I''ll just migrate to open source like home assistant (or even go back to smartthings lol).

Best wishes during this festive period Bruce. And all the Hubitat gang - you are a remarkable group to say the least. I'm looking forward to many improvements in 2020. I wouldn't own four Hubitats if I didn't have confidence in this company. Season's Greetings to all the Hubitat users.

3 Likes

This may draw the ire of a few other users, but I wouldn't have a problem paying a reasonable annual fee for access to new features in Hubitat. Development time costs and supporting that is acceptable to me. It's much preferable to the "free" model we're seeing elsewhere where the customer and their data are becoming the product.

5 Likes

Surely the team are smart home enthusiasts, so if worst comes to worst, they will get jobs elsewhere and hubitat will become a side business that makes them a bit of cash.

From what I understand is they have frustrations Smart Things therefore they created their own platform. If they sell out it'll have to be a retirement amount of cash and a suitable alternative for the team

Don't forget about Creston is you really have a deep wallet.

You assume that they don't already have day jobs, and that hubitat isn't already their side gig.

3 Likes

holly sht you really are loyal to hubitat lol

huh? Did I miss an announcement?

@doug Guess so Hubitat Names Greg Toth as President and CEO

1 Like

A hex on your words!

IMHO you’ll never receive this assurance from any startup under any circumstances. Smartthings was a startup before Samsung acquired them. But they’re a real electronics company, wink was unlucky enough to be purchased by a celebrity dilettante.

If you’re not looking to troll people, isn’t the title of this thread a bit inflammatory?

2 Likes

thanks