Hubitat - What Is Under The Hood?

What is the new HE made of?

Processor?

OS?

RAM?

Storage?

What prevents devices, apps, and/or logs from overfilling it?

How much can it handle performance wise? How many RM rules is too many? Too many devices?

We could have had some fun if you had asked this question yesterday (that may be why you waited) . . .

1 Like

You can likely reverse a tiny bit of the info from this posting (at least the processor part):

and the OS appears to be some variant of Linux (based upon the fingerprint from services it uses).

There's a few thread comments that the C-4's may run Ubuntu, based upon the specific NTP (time) servers they're using. There are (used to be?) clues in the DHCP requests they're making, based upon the DHCP Client agent they're running (and it's somewhat older version)

Certain calls have been locked out, so it's tricker to see how much memory is available/used/left. I recall seeing a few discussions on the board about what might be the right info to expose, since it's not for everyone :wink:

2 Likes

No, had no idea about that. But that said, is there any breakdown to each of my questions?

Not that I've seen. I went looking when I first started here, but maybe I missed it.

I just ran through the usual (Java|Groovy) classes, and they've stubbed most of them so the info can't readily be found internally.

It's tempting to find the Console connector, but the C-5 pictures were from Mr. BlurryCam and it's unclear where that is.... on the newer boards.

From the C-4 pictures, the Memory modules appear to be these:

and the eMMC module looks like this:

If that's correct, and there aren't matching ones on the other side of the PCB, then they've got 512MB RAM (2x 256MB Samsung bga modules) and 8GB Flash.

There are comments floating around that the C-5's have the same specs as the C-4's.

The old hub was, according to a post on smartthings forum, based on an X96. If true then
Arm cpu s905w soc, 4 cores,
I think they said armbian os, though that may have changed

I would also like to know this, and also be able to monitor cpu usage/load, mem/swap usage, and storage capacity.

I just bought one, but have not implemented it yet. I am going to move over a LOT of devices. 146 lights, 20-30 security sensors (on an Elk), and at some point hopefully Mysensors devices.

My Veraplus handles it fine, but I have concerns.

Can a custom app read the /proc directory? If so, it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to write a groovy app that had a system stats widget for the dashboard.

User apps cannot interact with the underlying operating system/file system in any way. Hubitat's hub is a closed system. Only explicitly exposed API's for Hubitat Groovy Applications and Drivers are available to users who wish to write custom code.

Great discussion, but still no answer to my last two bullets.

Logs are automatically managed. Every night a cleanup job is run that prunes the database to keep things under control. Users are not expected (or able) to manage this themselves.

There are users with hundreds of devices attached to a single hub. Other users have chosen to use multiple hubs for various reasons.

As long as you stick to the built-in Apps and Drivers, you should not have any issues, even with a large system. Once you start dabbling in custom code, all bets are off. Most users don't have any issues, however there are some monster apps (e.g. webCoRE) that can bog down a system, depending on the complexity of the Pistons that are used.)

2 Likes