Hubitat Range? And Switch from Wink

I'm about to begin the switch to Hubitat from a Wink set up. I currently have two Wink hubs, one in the house and a 2nd one in my detached garage. I'd like to run everything off one Hubitat hub but I'm not sure about the range reaching the garage. The garage is about 40 ft from the house. I have two Schlage Z Wave locks and a Z wave Leviton smart switch in the garage now. I have several other Z Wave switches and outlets throughout the house but I never tried to pair the garage units to the house Wink due to the distance.

Would it help if I use a Z Wave Repeater? My only concern with that is I almost need one outside between the house and garage? My switches in both the house and garage are on or near the walls closest to each other so the repeater wouldn't be much closer than a actual outlet without going outside.

Also, I have a few Lutron switches, I need the Lutron Bridge now correct?

You’ll need the Lutron Caseta SmartBridge Pro2. The “Pro” is essential as it includes Telnet capability, required for Hubitat.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to Hubitat:

You should keep your Wink hubs and use them as z-wave repeaters for the Hubitat. This forum post details how to do that:

If you position your Wink hubs such that the first WH is within range of the Hubitat and the WH in the garage is within range of the first Wink hub, I think a single Hubitat will control z-wave devices in your garage.

@ogiewon has already indicated that you need the Lutron Smartbridge Pro 2 to migrate your Caseta switches and Pico remotes.

2 Likes

Check the device compatibility list. These may have been removed due to folks having a lot of issues with some of these locks.

Some the older models of these switches require a firmware update to behave correctly on Hubitat.

Just wanted you to go in with eyes wide open. :wink:

2 Likes

Regarding Schlage ZWave locks:

I have a Schlage ZWave lock that didn't initially work when I switched from Wink to Hubitat. I was able to connect the lock to Hubitat after I installed Aeotec repeaters. If you use your Wink hubs as repeaters as suggested above, that may solve the issues. You may be better off keeping the locks paired to Wink and accessing them through HubConnect.

Can't do that. HubConnect doesn't support Wink.

Just be aware that if you use your winks even just as repeaters, that they'll require the wink servers to be active just to boot up (after they're booted its fine) Those servers will sooner or later go dark.

FYI, they will work fine as repeaters even if Wink's servers go dark. They will not work as secondary controllers if Wink's servers go dark.

Ahh my bad, I didn't think they booted up that much to repeat

If that's true I may have to go fish my old Wink out of the trash. I also have heard the Wink has to link to servers on boot up or locks up. Fortunately my recycle bin has not been emptied.

Not if the sole purpose is to use the z-wave radio for repeating purposes. It definitely has to link to servers during boot to work as a secondary controller (i.e. see/control Hubitat-paired z-wave devices in the Wink app).

Time to go fishing.

1 Like

Note - you will need the Wink hub to be online (and connected to Wink's servers) when you initially pair it to Hubitat. But not after that. I had tested this with my Wink Hub 2 about a year ago.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Does it matter that the garage hub is the original Wink Hub and the home hub is a Wink 2? The garage hub has been going offline a lot lately.

Wink must know I ordered my Hubitat today since it stopped working with Alexa again....The swap will start next weekend!

If the wink setup doesn’t work out. Just get a second Hubitat for the garage as long as you have internet access there. You can still control everything from the main hub by installing HubConnect on the hubs.

1 Like