Hubitat Package Manager and Search Error

People are reporting an error when searching for Packages. The error looks like:

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 11.12.24 AM

This is caused by a problem with the Fuzzy Search option. When HPM was originally created an Azure function was created to gather all the Package Manifests and index them, allowing for a fuzzy search. When Dominic left the Hubitat Community, he said he had no plans to disable the feature. However, over the past couple of weeks, the feature has remained unavailable.

I don't want to remove the option if it's just a temporary outage, but as the days go by, that decision gets pressure. :slight_smile: The obvious workaround is to use Fast Search:

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 10.19.30 AM

Once selected, it remains the default until you actively change it again. If everyone just switches to Fast Search, I won't have to remove the Fuzzy Search option and if it ever starts working again, HPM returns to having two search options.

The longer path is that I release a 'no fuzzy' version and then release another later when it comes back. That seems like a lot of bother because anyone reading this won't need the 'no fuzzy' version and those that don't probably won't upgrade to a 'no fuzzy' version :smiley:

The difference between the two search methods is simple: Fast Search uses a logical compare: hub connect vs hubconnect. Logically those two are NOT a match. Using Fuzzy logic, it's more true than not and therefore matches. Anyone that has tried to compare the two know that Fast Search is indeed faster than a Fuzzy Search but today, as I type this, we only have the Fast option working.

Fuzzy logic is an approach to computing based on "degrees of truth" rather than the usual "true or false" (1 or 0) Boolean logic

7 Likes

Thanks for the post.

Just found this when I came looking for obvious reasons...

1 Like