Hubitat lost control of all my inovelli and z-wave devices

I have been trying to troubleshoot a new issue that cropped up about 3 days ago.
I realized that my voice commands (via Google) were no longer working to control my lights. Specifically, my Inovelli switches and dimmers (all Red Series). The previous evening, I had taken apart my whole network and smart home setup so I could re-install everything in a different cabinet. At first, I assumed I had just connected something incorrectly, so I went through and checked and re-seated all connections, but everything was fine.

I think tried to login to the Hubitat via the app on my iPhone, but it wasn’t working. I found that it wasn’t using the same IP, but I was able to find the new address and login via a browser. I set a static IP, hoping that might resolve the issue, but no luck.

I then tested out issuing commands directly to each device from the Devices page and found that none of the switches and dimmers were responding to simple on/off commands, but were still able to function via a physical button press.

I thought that perhaps something had happened when I had my network cabinet torn apart and somehow the z-wave mesh had gotten messed up, so I decided to see if I could exclude and then include a couple switches/dimmers, but it failed to detect them each time. I then tried factory resetting them and excluding/including, again, but this was also unsuccessful.

A few days before all of this started, I swapped out the batteries in all of my contact and motion sensors, then added a new motion sensor to my kitchen. I also updated the drivers for the Inovelli dimmers and switches. Everything tested out perfectly, though. The issues didn’t start until a few days later.

I’m looking through the forums, I’m seeing some older posts about people having issues when one device on their z-wave mesh decided it didn’t like playing with the other devices and went awol. Also swing something about UZB. I’m completely at a loss at this point. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

terrible typography GIF

It sounds like your hub either isn’t sending zwave or it can’t get out of the cabinet. First thing to check would be your zwave details page and make sure your zwave is enabled. If enabled, try moving it outside the cabinet and see if you can communicate with a device. If not, maybe shutdown the hub and remove power from the wall for 30-40 seconds and retry.

3 Likes

Is this a c7 hub or earlier?

1 Like

It’s a c-5 model.

I thought the cabinet was possibly causing issues so I moved it out and plugged it in. Still no luck. Last night, I tried disabling all z-wave and then did a full shutdown and pulled power. This morning, I plugged it back in and attempted to exclude one of the dimmers I factory reset. Still nothing.

I’m beginning to wonder if my z-wave radio is toast.

May need to ask support (@bobbyD) if they can take a look at the engineering logs.

2 Likes

Update:
After racking my brain and trying everything I could, I finally had a little bit of success, but I don’t appear to be out of the woods, yet.

I pulled batteries from all other z-wave devices I have, then I grabbed my hub and got it right next to one of my dimmers and was able to successfully exclude it. I thought I’d figured it out, so I performed the same thing on another one and it worked. It looked like things were looking up, but the. I tried on a third on and nothing happened. I then proceeded to shut down my hub and drag it around (along with a WiFi access point) to every switch. I was able to exclude every switch and dimmer, but usually only one and then I’d have to shut down the Hubitat and relocate in order to get it work. It was almost as if it only worked for the first couple of minutes after the Hubitat powered back on, then it ceased. I’m wondering if a non-z-wave device could be causing the Hubitat to drop the z-wave connectivity.