Hubitat loses connection to Kasa device after a power outage

Anyone else experience issues with their connection to Kasa devices post power outage? I have a Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300 that has an automation to turn off power to devices in the living after a certain and back on after a certain time. This automation lives inside Hubitat's Rule Engine and not via the Kasa app. I've noticed after a few power outages that the rule remains in tact, but the connection to the kasa plug goes bad and I have to re-add the device. Strangely, other Kasa products I have (smart outlets) are unaffected.

Any ideas how to get around this? Should I just move the automation to Kasa and out of Hubitat? Or is there some other fix for this? I don't have a static IP on hubitat yet, but not sure if this is the source of the issue

First, make sure your HS300 device is a child to the Kasa Integration App.

Second, check and make sure the device has a Static IP address.

W/o a Static IP address, the IP address will change from that stored for the device in Hubitat.

3 Likes

If power outages are frequent, you might want to consider getting a Uninterruptable Power Supply battery backup to power your router and Hubitat hub so they will continue working during the outage. Obviously, that won't prevent devices such as lights from going offline, but it will minimize possible damage to electronics.

2 Likes

I have a power wall (with solar panels). The Router is on the backup. Lost power for 4 hours; however, all my local devices (including Kasa devices) continued working. I also (separately) lost the WAN connection (i.e., internet) and all local devices still worked. Hubitat works as advertised.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.