Hubitat is Awesome!

I was a Tandy 1000 EX kid but the Apple 2 range is a favourite of mine too. :+1:

3 Likes

VIC-20 over here - 6502 assembly for the peek and poke win! Sadly no pictures remain.. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

TI 99-4/A, cassette drive, and a 13" B&W TV as a monitor. C 1982. 16 bit microprocessor and 16K of RAM as I recall.

S

2 Likes

Nice.. This was my first computer

1 Like

Can I ask where you got the powered contact sensor?
I'm familiar with the Ecolink, but that's battery powered.
Thanks.

I too have come from SmartThings, been using it for just under a month now and would say that I’m relatively competent. Loved every second even the frustration of having to learn new things, I’m very much a tinkerer so even when it’s working perfectly I’m changing things :joy:

Thanks team, much love.

3 Likes

I’ve used this method to convert battery devices to usb powered:

2 Likes

LOL, it has changed as my home automation has grown. I started out using one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Fibaro-Z-Wave-Flood-Sensor-FGFS-101/dp/B00P2PJI6U
It's a flood sensor, but you can power it with mains power and add use terminals as the contact sensor. It work well.

I then purchased on of these, cause I needed two smart relays and two dry contact sensors. The device comes with three relays and three dry contact sensors, so I used the spare contact sensor for the interconnect relay. Also works well.
https://www.amazon.ca/MultiRelay-ZEN16-Sprinklers-Fireplace-Repeater/dp/B0846DZJD8

My Christmas holiday project is to use one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PR9T5R5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2K4DGCC72N9AG&psc=1
to read my water meter, to also tie in the interconnect relay for my smoke detectors, and to also read contact sensor information on 6 basement windows. Integrate all that into hubitat for a device that costs a little over 10 bucks, I will see how it works. LOL

3 Likes

Those little nodemcu's are my favourite thing in the world. Aside from my c7 which i purchased back in july after flinging my smartthings hub in the bin.

you can do all sorts with them! Just bought another 10 for about £20 GBP.

Also a happy camper. I like that I can have obsessive phases with HE, and then I can leave it alone for a few months and be certain that everything will work as it should.

I also like knowing that pretty much everything is possible. If I can dream it, I can build it. Now, sometimes it takes me a minute to figure out how to build it, and other times the forum reveals someone already did before me.

I figure some time soon I'll have to start swapping my old Z-Wave devices for gen7, and it's good to know there's a new hub waiting for me when that happens.

1 Like

Totally agree, it's the best grown up toy I've bought for many years. Loads of fun.

That's way too modern, I started with a CPM machine that required an earthing strap on your wrist. cpm

The mouse was not invented for about 6 years later

1 Like

Well, since the nostalgy comments has begun, here is the first computer I ever worked with:
Present you all the mighty IBM 370/165.

One of those was installed at my university - Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro - PUC/RJ - when I started college. By that time it was the largest IBM mainframe in latin America.

Good times ... the window to the world was a CRT terminal with 24 lines of 80 characters ... And in black & white!

2 Likes

Nothing to do with this thread, but since we're posting our first computers... I learned Basic on this in high school:

To get the thing running you had to insert a bunch of instructions in memory with the toggle switches, and then you could load Basic via the paper tape reader on the attached TTY machine. First real program I wrote was an interactive blackjack program. It was fun, but at the time I had no thoughts about programming as a career.

Wasn't until many years later that I bought a TRS-80 Model 3, and it's been downhill ever since.

2 Likes

November 18th was when I received my C7 to replace my SmartThings v2. Been less than a month and I'm moving full speed ahead with no plans of ever going back.

Keep up the great work folks. :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

"boot strapping" a DEC pdp8... remember it well.

1 Like

I started on the IBM 360, and we used Punch Cards to program it.

2 Likes

I still have a stack of those....

1 Like

Lol. Same here! They’re great for taking a quick note...

1 Like