Hubitat in Europe (Croatia) - Tips

Guys, I post my question also here. For my ethernet network I am thinking of using Cat8 cables for everything, included for poe cameras.
What do you think?

Why? That would a complete waste of money. A domestic house is is barely going to need the capabilities of CAT 6 let alone CAT6A, CAT 7 now CAT 8. In massive complex commercial systems they at the most install CAT6A. I have seen in government building where they go over the top still install up CAT6A (they also install fibre aswell mine next to it when each run is about 30m max).

Also I have been told POE cameras have been known to get issues when more than CAT6 is installed.

Segregation is the key, CAT6 is more than enough.

Thanks for the feedback, I will check more about Poe cameras but could be then cat6.

Since I want to feed with ethernet also the tv and the music speakers, do you think cat 6 would be enough, or can I go a bit more high?

I have ideas a bit more confused, here my general idea or what I would like to do:

1switch above door(supply connected to a ups placed like 5m far) which will feed:

• 3 or 4 Poe cameras fed by a switch(or in future nvr)
  • the wired alarm.
  • two music speakers in false ceiling like sonos or others

Router to fed tv and connected to same ups of switch

Router to fed another wall ethernet socket and hubitat

From router to switch ans to tv and to the ethernet socket would you use always cat6 or something higher?

Double the Ethernet plug in each room (opposite sides): you never know when and where you'll need a plug

Think about a plug high in the wall for any possible future use (inside cam, connected monitors, air quality sensors).

Do not forget to put simple power plug near the ceiling corner, for future use of shutters or curtains.

Install a decent centralize patch panel for ALL your cables! Consider the air conditioner or at least an air extractir: closed cabinets with Ups, PoE injectors etc warm a lot.

install redundant switch wall boxes: where usually need 1 put 3, where 3 put 5. Maybe you'll need it for wired sensors or other automations.

If you want exceed... consider a fiber backbone inside the house (if it is quite huge) with OT in each room... (ok! enough is enough... :grin:)

1 Like

I just bought a lot.

Came in at $86 dollars for 10, with import taxes and shipping to Norway. Still not bad, I think.
Just to share info...
RogerThat