Hubitat - How much can be seen?

You're right. I didn't. Time fades memory. But Google helps restore the truth!!

Chris McNeil wrote the original gopherd code and provided it to me. I modified it to add a search engine. Farhad Anklesaria helped me ensure that searches were returned in the correct format, and helped me port a pop2 server to KA9Q NOS.

Google helped me find the release notes

4 Likes

I'm so gobsmacked right now I don't what to say :smile:

2 Likes

Not that I went digging, but I feel like I should call you Dr. @aaiyar from now on lol :wink:

4 Likes

@adamkempenich

Please don't!

2 Likes

Deal! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably elm, it came before pine. Who remembers "nn" over here?

1 Like

nn as in net news? I do!

2 Likes

ME !! Boy are we old........

2 Likes

I call it "experienced"... :wink: (Stop staring at the grey hairs!)

3 Likes

My hair got darker as I got older. Very few gray hairs....

Edit: maybe that was a bit mean

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow: Whatevs!

I kid... My wife says she loves me with grey hair... I'm good with that. :smiley:

2 Likes

That's the most important person you need to impress then.... :slight_smile:

2 Likes

bravenel

1h

if there was a "support dump" mechanism on the hub the produced text output (JRE logs, HE software version, hardware firmware, etc, etc) with instructions on how to send that to hubitat.com for support (mail, web upload, etc.), rather than any means of remotely connecting to the hub.

Dream on. Not going to happen.

Wow.

I must say that I'm quite surprised by your response.

I wasn't talking about anything proprietary -- none of the HE code itself -- just logs & background info (version numbers, last reboot time, free memory size, etc.).

I deal with a lot of commercial software that follows just that model -- the customer generates a dump, using the diagnostic tool provided by the vendor, and sends that data to the vendor. It enhances trust on both sides.

The only potential exposure of Hubitat intellectual property would be if your normal diagnostics included code itself or if there was a coredump of an application compiled with debugging enabled, where gdb would expose variable names, datastructures, and static variables.

The stuff that concerns Hubitat owners -- people who choose a product that's more difficult to use that the competitors but which has a promise of greater privacy -- is the release of personal information. This is why your harsh response to the suggestion of allowing users to know what you can see from their logs is so unexpected.

Your answer now has me much more curious about exactly what can be seen than when I first began reading this thread.

2 Likes

This has been a topic that has been thoroughly discussed.

@bravenel simply doesn't want that sort of function added because there is a chance that proprietary info could be skimmed off. To avoid that ugly issue he has chosen not to expose that risk.

That's it in a nut shell.

@bobbyD did post a way to access the websocket and pull additional info from the hub if you so desired.

BTW not even SmartThings/Wink/Iris offered that. You always had to make a support ticket or call support.

2 Likes

What you're missing is that this has nothing to do with what is proprietary or secure, it's that what you suggest is not any sort of priority for us, nor is it likely to become one. It's super easy to dream up things that you might want us to do. The vast majority of our customers do not need this, it would make our support job more difficult, it would require development effort, and hence, it has a low priority, or being honest -- no priority.

I'm not sure where you come up with the idea that a customer's personal information is at risk of release. My response was not intended to be harsh, rather somewhat dismayed that your attitude is that we are cavalier about security and privacy, when the opposite is true. No one is forcing anyone to get support from us, and it's reasonable and necessary for us to put in place those tools and capabilities required to provide that support efficiently. If our degree of transparency about that concerns you, don't use our support. This is just the practical reality, as opposed to the tinfoil-hat version of reality.

With respect to what we can see from user logs, there is no personal information exposed in these logs.

This has nothing to do with it whatsoever. There is nothing proprietary to skim off. This is simply not something we see as worthwhile.

5 Likes

I'm a pretty new user (just a few weeks), so this came up while I was digging around.

Regarding privacy and the information that is available for you (at Hubitat) to see, are there protections to keep the "lock codes" that the door lock devices and the Lock Manager app use (and log) from getting sent?

I'm trying to decide how paranoid I should be- lol. But, seriously, the lock codes are my biggest concern, for obvious reasons. Next being access for someone to get in a disarm/unlock things inappropriately. That's one reason I'm a bit concerned about the "URL including access code" method for accessing the cloud features vs. requiring userid + pswd (+ possibly captcha). As a proprietary solution, it's hard to know how hack-resistant the dashboard PINs are--which is something I'll probably look into shortly.

After things settle down and I get bored (as if that will EVER happen), I supposed I could look into getting my "OpenVPN" stuff working again (not sure why it died) so that I can isolate my Hub from the internet and the cloud--but get to it remotely via an OpenVPN session from my phone or laptop. If I decide to put that much tinfoil on my hat. Even if I don't isolate it, that would give me the ability to do anything/everything remotely.

--

Side note on email platforms and ancient times: I supported PROFS and then OfficeVision on a VM/370 mainframe--back in the day. :slight_smile: Before that, in college, I was stoked with they connected to BITNET so we could use RSCS to send messages and files to other places.

(blushing) X.25 and Arpanet. And my first X10 controller had a serial interface.

1 Like

Your lock codes, or any device events for that matter aren't stored or saved in our cloud. Dashboard data obviously is routed through it, but we don't look at it or save it.

If you enable encryption of the lock codes at the driver level, then they can only be decrypted on your hub.

Has the use of "Lock Code Encryption" gotten all the kinks out? I was looking at various posts--and there were a number of flaky issues with that a year or so ago. Thanks!

No open issues that I'm aware of.

2 Likes