Hubitat + homekit + Mysa

I am getting my hubitat delivered tomorrow. Until now, I’ve used Google home and had minimal smart home devices.

I recently installed some Mysa baseboard thermostats, which are wifi and work with all the major players including HomeKit:

Certainly the local control within HomeKit is appealing. But I also don’t have a HomeKit hub yet.

Looking at the hubitat+HomeKit integration it pretty clearly points out:

NOTE: This integration is one-way: Hubitat devices can be shared with HomeKit. This does not allow for direct integration of HomeKit-only devices into Hubitat.

So does this mean I will not be able to have local control of my thermostats, and might as well just continue to have it added to my Google home and exposed to hubitat that way, where control will continue to be cloud-based?

Or am I missing something/is there another way?

FYI - HomeKit, Alexa, and Google Home are all one-way integrations. So what you're proposing here will not happen.

Wellllll then!

Does this mean there’s not going to be any way that hubitat will be able to see+control the Mysa?

I.e. arrive home, set temp to X?

Does Mysa have an API? It would be simplest to write a custom app/driver.

There are some roundabout methods to do it with Alexa. Or you can always use IFTTT.

1 Like

I guess they don't have a public one:

But to work with homekit, they must have something that works locally... right? Even if I wanted to try and listen in/write my own driver?

Yes. HomeKit communication is encrypted. Originally, it required specific encryption hardware, but I don't think that's true any more. Anywhere, here are the details:

Oh well that makes things more annoying. Argh!

Can you get the Mysa integrated with Alexa? You don't need Alexa hardware for this - the Alexa app on a mobile is sufficient.

Depending on what Mysa exposes to Alexa, you may be able to control it via Echo Speaks or NodeRed.

Yes it should work with Alexa:

Seems like it has all that I should need, so I'll give that a try. Is the Alexa app only required for setup/adding into the alexa home, or will the phone always need to be present for it to work, acting as a communication bridge? I have zero alexa hardware - and otherwise don't intend to purchase any.

This.

You'll also need to setup some mechanism of control. Either Echo Speaks or Node-RED. I only know how to do it using Node-RED. Either one will require an always-on server at home - like a Raspberry Pi, or if you have a NAS that supports Docker containers, that'll work too.

Ah, wasn't aware those setups would require a separate dedicated server of sorts - which I don't have... yet! Will definitely keep it in mind as an option for the future though. thanks

If you subscribe to twitter alerts of @rpilocator and are able to react immediately when one comes in, you stand a decent shot of getting a new pi for MSRP.
Or you can try to get a used mini pc or thin client pc to use as a server.

Since I’ve had my pi, I keep finding more and more uses for it. Probably one of the most useful devices in the house.

Anyway, regarding Mysa, I’ve also been somewhat stuck with how to get it into Hubitat. It does also integrate with the SmartThings cloud which doesn’t require a hub. In doing that, I am using the Hubithings Replica integration with the thermostat driver. Just set it up and got it connected but have t done any testing yet. Seems to be the most promising way, but I’ll still probably interact with the Mysa more via HomeKit or just set schedules within the Mysa app

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.