Hubitat+Homekit (beta)+Dimmer black, export as button not working

I have two Inovelli Dimmer Blacks on the same circuit, intended to control Hue lights. The switches are wired directly to Line, and the Hue lights are hardwired on (the switch's load terminal are disconnected). These are Z-wave connected to Hubitat, and thanks to this post, I can get it into Homekit as a Dimmer (not a plug).

I know Blue switches can talk directly to Hue lights, but they are currently backordered, so I'm hoping to make due until then.

I tried a Homekit automation of "when switch1 is on, turn on switch2 and turn on Chandelier" and "when switch1 is off, turn off switch2 and turn off Chandelier" but this is slow and causes conflict when pressing switch1 causes switch2 to turn on and thus firing its own automation :man_facepalming:.

I was hoping in Hubitat / Homekit Integration (beta) app, I could export the switches as "buttons" instead. A button press automation would bypass the conflict, and would also allow me to use the third "scene" button for whatever automation I want. But I tried assigning Homekit automations to buttons 1, 2 and 3 (to turn on Chandelier) but neither Inovelli switch up, down or scene button will fire any of these Homekit automations.

It would be nice if the "export as dimmer" could also export the buttons.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this working... or it just not implemented yet?

I don’t think that this is possible with the Black series switch. It has limited functionality as compared to the Red series one. However, I might not have the latest firmware on mine - I think some functionality was added with the latest one…?

From what I can see, the Black series can be set to disable local control which would provide constant power to the bulbs, but I do not see an option to get the button press to Hubitat other than as a Power on / Power off event.

Ah interesting... I just tested setting a Red Dimmer to "export as button"... and watching that device in Homekit, you can see them light up as you physically press buttons. The mapping seems to be:
Button 1 single press = up single press
Button 1 long press = down single press
Button 7 single press = third "scene" button single press

Double pressing up, down or scene buttons does not work. Pressing "up" twice lights up "Button 1 single press" twice in succession. Pressing "down" twice just lights up "Button 1 long press" once. Pressing "scene" twice lights up "Button 7 single press" once.

I suspect that you might have a more recent firmware than I do, and that it likely reports button presses. If this is the case, you can also use the button presses in Rule Machine to initiate actions, including turning on and off lights.

So I have tried Rule Machine and Button Controller apps, and they used to work in Rule Machine Legacy days... now Rule Machine 5.1 is out and non of the rules I create work. I can no longer edit the Legacy rules (and dare not delete them). Button Controller stopped working too (new rules I create don't work... while old existing ones continue to work).

I have a wife and three todlers, so my time to tinker with Hubitat has come to an end.

I was enthusiastic to see the Homekit Integration (beta). I've now used Homebridge to bring six different systems into Homekit, and the Homekit iOS app is very efficient and opens instantly (and the wife always has an identical app experience). The automations look extensive, but are missing very basic abilities (like setting a light brightness based on a variable). But anyways, the convenience of Hubitat connecting Zigbee and Z-wave devices to Homekit is awesome.

That’s odd... I have a ton of RM 4.X rules that I am able to edit. New rules cannot be created in RM 4.X, but an existing one could always be cloned to create a new one…

Button controller I never used, though I have used the new one and it works well for me.

This topic was automatically closed 360 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.