Hubitat - Home Assistant

I just purchased Home Assistant Green mainly for the dashboard functionality. I have Hue Philips/Bond/Lutron, etc. on my Hubitat. I made a decision to just bring the majority of my devices directly from Hubitat to Home Assistant, but I wondering if that was the best decision.

So..., Is it better to Integrate directly into Home Assistant or should I just used those devices directly through Hubitat?

Use whichever has the integration that works best for you. No real right or wrong.

I tend to put all devices I can on Hubitat, cloud integrations on HA, and do all dashboards in HA.

But there is any number of mix/match that can make sense.

8 Likes

I personally like to keep things as directly connected as possible. Thus, in my case, I have chosen to use HA’s direct local integrations to both Hue and Lutron Caseta. I also use Hubitat’s local integrations to bring my Hue and Lutron devices directly into Hubitat. I also use the Hue and Caseta native HomeKit integrations to bring all of those lights into Apple Home.

I love the flexibility that Philips Hue and Lutron bring in terms of interoperability with other systems.

7 Likes

I started on the HA side of things and added a Hubitat as an easy way to get Zigbee and Z-Wave devices into HA (I'm running HA on a NAS in Docker, making it harder than I wanted to deal with to add those things using USB). In my case that means I use native HA integrations wherever possible and only use Hubitat to bridge over specific devices.

As others have said, it's all about preference. I did it this way because I know more about HA and didn't want to have automation logic spread across multiple devices.

2 Likes