Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Hi.

Just wondering if you ever tried to mate a Hue Dimmer to a Clipsal plate?

I Have just ordered my hubitat and switches are the biggest pain. I would have thought somebody would have something that you could have the same looking switch plate for smart lights and normal lights with the ability to switch your normally lights remotely or have a hard active at your smart lights. Guess not so far.

Had to look that one up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Do you mean something like this?

nano dimmers and modules are for regular lights though. You need to have power on all the time for smart lights, otherwise they are useless. Power cycling smart bulbs via a physical switch all the time can cause the Zigbee radios to fail too. And whatever you do, never dim a regular Zigbee light bulb with a dimmer switch or module. That will kill the Zigbee radio in the bulbs almost immediately.

@SmartHomePrimer I replied to @snickery and I assumed it would have quoted or tagged him in it.

He said he was going to try and mate a hue 4 button dimmer to a 4 gang Clipsal switch plate.

This would kind of make me semi happy with my current complaint about smart lighting. As you say with you never want to turn a smart light off.

So I would have thought somebody would have a module that would allow this and change the mech so it could be used as scene control to turn them on and off. I am sure in a whole house there is a combination of both normal and smart lights.

Knowing what ones have to stay on and ones that don’t and then either need voice or an app to turn them off seems dumb and not very smart.

Any designated scene switches are not in a range that allow nice visual integration with the rest of the house. As in any switch for a normal light would look different to a scene switch.

Yes, its still in the backlog. I got sidetracked on an HA MQTT adventure. Devices and automation on HE and all the wifi enabled things in HA.

Here are the parts! I still need to pull apart the dimmer switch and solder up wires for the momentary switches.

I don’t have a hue switch and never pulled one apart. Is there much to them?

I can not believe there isn’t something out there. Even Clipsal with Nero is still just using types nano switches behind the plate.

I found someone who had pulled one apart, but can't find the link.

I'll try now and let you know how I go!

Also the button behaviours are different, as the top and bottom buttons only do a press, while the middle buttons can also hold.

Yep, agree its annoying that there isn't a standard aussie solution. Legrand/HPM have something now but its expensive and doesn't look aussie. I'm using Aeotec Nano dimmers in other places, but they are expensive - I ended up splurging and buying two of them in for one set of 2 ways, the 2nd one is just used for its switch. I considered something battery powered for the 2nd switch, but just wanted it to work.

Easy to get a part. Undo screws and pry apart. See:

I'll solder on some wires later.

They Litton clip on thing looks like it would work well also but again not Australian.

Yep, wouldn't work here. My goal is to make it all look 'normal'. Clipsal push buttons are the only thing I can find so far. Another thing I looked at was getting a Fibaro door sensor and wiring to clipsal push button, as its got an input on it. Still kinda though pricey.

For example I need to be replace these with 'real' switches at some point, don't fit in with other stuff:

One is on top of clipsal with a punched in switch. The other the plate has been removed and permanently wired on.

I also have no neutral wires, and can't put them in - brick/render everything.

I know. It’s crazy. The nue smart scene switch visualy looks ok. I have not seen one for real but if you got them to operate your smart lights what do you do for the rest of the switches. They don’t match. Crazy.

I see what you’re trying to achieve. Yes, same issue in North America. Here’s my bedroom dimmer. Original box is behind, with the power for the lights wired permanently on. My Wife like the button size, but I don’t like the dimmer quality. I use Lutron Pico and the now discontinued Lutron Connected build remotes in others.

Lutron and Philips joined up to solve the issue (somewhat) for people in North America with one common style of switch found in older homes and rental properties.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/lutron-and-philips-hue-just-solved-smart-lightings-biggest-headache/

One option as you mentioned is Aeotec Nano and just use that to trigger rules that control the smart Bulb, not the power to the Bulb. But expensive, and requires unconventional wiring to keep the lights and the nano both constantly powered. I have some Insteon micro modules in my house. Similar idea to the Nano dimmers and switches, just different protocol.

Happy AU user here. With the 2.1.0 update (that has the AU pairing fix) my Yale Z-Wave locks did a secure pair first time!

2 Likes

Nice one.That's good to know.

Another happy AU Hubitat owner.
Received mine a bit over a week ago and have been slowly migrating my devices from Homeseer to HE. Just need to wait for proper Insteon integration to be able to properly switch everything but I am very happy with the results so far. The recent App release has just closed another loop. Can't wait to see whats next.

Welcome.

Can anyone recommend a good zigbee repeater for Aus ?
I have a bunch of zigbee lights that I dont want repeating off each other.
Does anyone have a good aus one, or would something like this work ?
i'd prefer a fast zigbee response (220sqm house).

zigbee socket

We don't have a lot of great zigbee stuff here yet. Not sure if anyone has used the nue socket, but some of their stuff hasn't repeated all that well. If IKEA brings out their repeater it might be useful. The odd thing about that repeater though is that it actually is USB plug, so we might be able to use the UK version here and just plug the usb into an AUS usb socket of some sort.

What lights are you wanting to repeat? I'm intending to use a combo of Hue and Sengled, the sengled won't repeat and the hue will stay within it's own thing. Zigbee mesh that i'll need to repeat will be for any cheap sensors. The IKEA bulbs can be connected (as long as the firmware is up to date) onto HUE I think as well. G.

1 Like

Hey G,
I currently have ikea tradfris lights, but i've also got some smartthings contact sensors ( I also want to add motion sensors etc etc). I don't want to fill up a zigbee mesh with a bunch of devices that are repeating off bad repeaters - i'd prefer to have some powered zigbee sockets that can be good repeaters for the network.

Yeah fair enough. A lot of folks I've seen tend to split into two meshes to avoid dramas. One for the lights and one for the sensors. I grabbed a hue bridge to use for lights integration. that way any HE zigbee mesh for sensors won't get stuffed up by lights going on and off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you explain this a bit more.
Are you suggesting a second hubitat hub, one for zigbee and one for z-wave ?
I currently have a tradfri hub, but was hoping to remove that and just run the lights exclusively off the Hubitat.
(but also thinking, wont I need the ikea hub for bulb firmware updates?)