Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

at $60 a hit..is there a second option?
the cheapest i can see is amazon right now
https://www.amazon.com.au/Aeotec-Switch-Z-Wave-Enabled-SmartThings/dp/B017DV4T6O/ref=asc_df_B017DV4T6O/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341743978224&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17061968312850824400&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1000286&hvtargid=pla-922897887974&psc=1

Shelly wifi modules.

Home automation is expensive, you don’t have to do it all at once.

Are these now certified for Aus? How did I miss this! Hehe

Most of the range is yes, not hard when designed for the EU first I guess, as their electrical standards are very similar to ours.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, if you’re looking to use WiFi devices ( you currently think you need 50 switches or dimmers ) then you really are going to have to get a semi pro WiFi system. Something like Ubiquity Unifi Access Points and controllers.

It’s good that you’ve hooked up with this community because you should find it a huge assistance to forming your HA solution.
Personally, my approach has been to automate my lights via sensors etc.
Walk up to the house and my presence is detected and the house alarm deactivates, lights and music turn on.
Enter bedrooms and lights automatically turn on and stay on whilst people are I the rooms. Similar thing for bathrooms with humidity controlling the exhaust fans and towel heaters.
My goal is that the house is as hands off switches as possible.
I bought a keypad for admin/disarming the alarm system, that I thought I needed, but it’s never touched these days.
Without sensors detecting ‘events’ around your house, you may just end up with a dashboard that copies physical switch functions, with a few extra tricks.
As @dJOS said, you can stagger buying and installing your switches & dimmers over time.

On the same topic a competent electrician will also refuse to install an "Aliexpress special" which has no Australian certification.

@mat1 as you are building from the ground up have you considered what your actual needs are? If not the better approach might be to ensure you've got the electrical infrastructure ready to accept additional automation later and install the critical items first.

For example if you want to have cameras, have ethernet cable (for POE/data) installed to the areas where you will mount them. Cameras can always be installed later.

2 Likes

Yes, you can most definitely put them in the roof. Just get an electrical box that is big enough to take them all and leave some breathing holes in the box.

Since Z-wave is so rare and expensive in AU/NZ I tend to steer clear of them, but I have not found a certified Zigbee switch yet. The only Z-wave devices in my HA are the Aeotec Nano switches. I’m doubling down on Zigbee for everything else.

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

We just need Sonoff to get their devices certified for Aus/NZ
https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-zbmini-zigbee-smart-switch.html

I doubt very much a $9 mains device could meet our stringent electrical standards. Especially when you consider that Aeotec didn’t sell their $90 Smart Dimmer 6 plug here because they couldn’t meet our standards without major modifications.

Welcome @mat1. I am in the same boat as you. I researched for a while about making the light smarts and decided switches will be the best and most economical solution. We asked for the light switches to have 2 lights at the max (still not sure whether this is the best approach but from what I can see there is only maximum 2 with Aeotec, etc also I prefer actual switch just in case my first foray into home automation fails miserably).

Plenty of trap of choosing smart light switches itself. Plenty of options out there but then I soon find out (with the help of members of this community) that not all are viable options in Australia. Example: Lutron, GE, Innoveli all good but 120 Volt so a no for AU. You also has to be careful with buying zwave devices on global site because the zwave signal has to be specific for AU.
I decided to go with Aeotec all the way for light switches because I tried Fibaro before and to put it simply, it was not meant to be. Aeotec in my opion is cheaper and better.

But yeah, they are costly but bear in mind, you only have to put them once then hopefully it will last you a long time, unlike light bulb.
Good luck!

appreciate the advice all- yep did the poe to camera (reolink) which i picked up on prime day.

looks like might have to give z wave a miss for now and stick with zigbee- just secondary to budget

I did get c4 quoted for the house- eye watering figure hence the foray into diy.

No solution at this point to my 10 gang issue - but might split onto 3 panels in sensible pairings - and wait for the money tree to sprout in future

(and apologies for slow replies- as a newb am locked out after a few postings..)

Todays q's :

1. Wife asked me to look at the advantage air system (some tv show - block) - can anyone cast light on it?

2.whilst i was waiting to post this - has anyone seen these? Seem to be certified..

https://www.vozopca.com/index.php/led-controller/wifi-led-controller/5ch-mini-led-wifi-controller-rgb-ww-cw-ios-android-music-control-timer.html

1. another dumb question- will hubitat remove my need to keep the hue bridge and other random bridges active? Running two bridges currently in small apartment- hue for some bulbs, and a zigbee hub for a zigbee switch (yes a cheap chinese (aqara) one on trial). Bridges are doing my head in. Also have alexa with zigbee hub and google home

2. Finally - what about this?
    https://www.amazon.com.au/ZRC-90US-BW8510US-Remotec-Cert-ZC10-15100007/dp/B016YTTIVW?pd_rd_w=X1BI1&pf_rd_p=1aab1bb9-4835-4891-8e96-df06401dd7c7&pf_rd_r=XH2A6JJBY392SKE9Z1P4&pd_rd_r=5f105075-b670-4d6b-8d87-839b9a44e21b&pd_rd_wg=VGJhh

3. When i throw in the towel- anybody in sydney want to get paid to come and do this thing?

cheers

1. seems to be predominantly a hardwired solution with option to use licensed Hue hub.
  2. I didn’t see RCM compliance on this one but Magic Home devices have community apps and drivers in HE
  3. Maybe. Depends on your needs and the devices you buy because typically the cheaper devices use Zigbee ZLL and not Zigbee ZHA, which can cause issues. Using multiple hubs gives you a ‘work around’ solution.
  4. Have seen posts about these but have no experience. Use the forum search :+1:t3:
  5. ha ha, sorry keeping my own WAF up is tricky enough.
1 Like

In all honesty, I think your 10 gang scenario is based on flawed assumptions. Just put your switches where they would normally be and then put Shelly wifi or zwave mechs with momentary switches in later as finances allow. This has been my approach.

You need to think about the household and how they will want to use switches normally. The last thing you want is to educate your family because you took a non-intuitive route to home automation.

Your goal should be to make home automation invisible and intuitive.

1 Like

Not a silly question at all.

The answer as usual is it depends.

I kept my hue hub for my main bedroom lamps as the last thing I or my wife want is to be woken up at 2 am after a power glitch by then turning on. Hubitat doesn’t support setting power loss modes for most Zigbee bulbs.

I also use it to manage our 3 remaining hue bulbs that get manually switched on and off so that the Hubitat doesn’t have its Zigbee mesh messed with.

1 Like

I have one and it's not worth the money.

I've added these instead when I need buttons.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000817535438.html

That is not entirely correct. If you are just looking for wireless wall switches you can use Lutron. The hub is powered by a 5v supply so you can use any certified plug you can find and the wall switches are battery powered.
You are of course correct if you are referring to their mains powered stuff.

1 Like

hi at9- ok - so then what connects this switch to the bubs? are you using the zigbee switch modules like

or something else?

The in wall switch you linked to is wired in between your dumb wall switch and dumb light globe.
This enables you to still use any dumb light switch to turn the light on and off as well use HE to control the in wall switch with motion sensors

I have a couple of these and use motion sensors and they work great!

1 Like

Are these AU/NZ certified Zigbee switches? I’m starting to get desperate for some :wink: