Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

I went the smart lights route so have dumb switches that are always on. I prefer the ability to dim and change the temperature of the lights.

I have motion and lux sensors to control the lights most of the time and really only use the buttons to turn them off when I leave a room if I know I'm not going back in.

I use my google home speakers more to manually control devices rather than buttons but 90%+ of the time my automations do everything for me.

3 Likes

Anyone here running a Fibaro Smart Implant to control their garage door?

I’ve been offered one instead of the zConnect and it looks like the community driver should do the job.

I only have smart lights (hue) in the ensuite, only way i could get dimming in the 3in1 light.
Everywhere is in wall switches. Trying to teach the mrs not to turn off 1 light switch took some time..couldnt imagine more!

I built new a year ago and looked at both smart lighting and dumb lighting then. I went with smart Hue downlights and bulbs in the whole house because the price premium compared to dumb lights was not very big at all. Like @at9 we very rarely use any light switches - it’s all automated. In hindsight I’m happy I went with smart lighting seeing how hard it is to find in wall Zigbee switches. I just have 4 or 5 light circuits where I need smart switches and they are for exterior lighting. I currently use Aeotec Nano switches for these but they are also my only Zwave devices in the house.

1 Like

UPDATE: so the Smart Implant works great even using the stock HE driver. I have no idea why the zConnect unit wouldn't play nice for me tho.

I also finally got my Mailbox automated - the Sonoff Zigbee Motion sensor just did not have the range even with an 8 DBi antenna grafted on.

I ended up with a spare Samsung Multipurpose Zigbee sensor (Contact + Acceleration + Temp) and it works great on the inside of my Mailbox door. I don't really care about letters, just small parcels being put in the mailbox, so this solution is great for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @jason-lane on this post about ausclimate dehumifiers that recover from power loss. Had one delivered today.

I may start out with it in my garage so I can run my two Philips dehumidifiers in the living space since they have air purifiers built in. May switch them around at some point if I buy an air purifier....

1 Like

Hey everyone, was wondering if there is anyone out there who is interested in testing out some code I have written that allows some basic integration of Actron Connect.

Its pretty basic at the moment, and the code is definitely not as elegant as a lot of other code I see being released for Hubitat apps/drivers, but it allows on/off control of the main unit and also any individual zones. It also reports on all temperature readings, and uses a websocket to connect to the Actron Connect cloud service to get near realtime settings and status updates.

The code is up on Github:

And I've also made it available via HPM, to make it easier to install.

I've only been able to test it against my own system at home which has 8 zones, but I am confident it will work with systems with less than 8 zones, but actual testing on a system with less than 8 zones would be really helpful.

As for my roadmap of feature, this is my current list (in no particular order):

• Add support for setting modes (Auto, Heat, Cool, Fan Only)
  • Add support for setting Fan Speeds (Low, Med, High)
  • Add support for disabling websocket connection, and just pull settings and state information locally directly from Actron Connect Module (this will disable any control of the unit, as this can only be done via the cloud service)
  • Add ability to configure temperature set point
  • Add ability to "level" all the temperature set points of all zones. Those who have this system should understand the dance that needs to happen when you want to change the tempartures of all the zones where you set the temperature on the main unit 2 deg lower or higher than what you want in the zones, and then set it to what you want

I did post about this once before under a different account, but I've created this new account, as the one I posted under before was linked to a shared inbox and I am not sure my wife would like the notifications.

Anyways, if anyone happens to try out the integration and provide some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

2 Likes

I can't test it necessarily, but am happy to take a look. I've been working on a set of drivers for my Mitsubishi air con and have now branched out to supporting the European equivalent. I'd also be happy to share notes on how I've approached a thermostat driver if you are interested.

Thanks @sburke781 for the offer. In fact I just stumbled across your code for the MELcloud stuff a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to really sit down and have a good look through it yet.

I am sure you've probably already tackled and solved some of the issues i've come across already..... you know things like having to debounce sending commands and delaying websocket updates being processed etc etc to keep a consistent state within HE.

1 Like

I think the way I'd phrase it is I am avoiding them for now... But know I should deal with them at some point :slight_smile: But you are right, I have learned a great deal so far and started to use features of the system / code that I hadn't so far, including scheduling as an example. One thing I am keen to setup soon is the use of package manager.

I had read a comment from one other developer or maybe it was one of the HE guys that a thermostat driver is probably one of the most complex one's to tackle, and I've probably come to realise that myself recently. It seemed simple enough with a few basic API calls and some authentication, but there is much more to it the more you dig into it. So that's why I'm happy to offer any assistance, to help kick yours along if you need a hand.

Simon

Hi, Dale. I have an Actron Connect with 6 zones in my house, and I'll be glad to test out your integration! Thanks for putting it together. I'm not sure exactly when I'll have the time, but hopefully within the next week or so.

1 Like

Hey guys, I was just about to create a Topic, for all Aussie Hubitarians as to whether there was any interest in pooling orders to AliExpress, Banggood etc. But I think I've just talked myself out of it.
The local shipping probably makes the exercise worthless as AliExpress just quoted me direct shipping "Shipping: AU $1.73 via ePacket Estimated Delivery Time: 13-20 Days"
With that LOW cost, and nothing by way of a discount unless we're buying >100, why wouldn't you just get a direct shipment to each user, right ?

FYI: I'm interested in THIS

I used to use epacket (and would avoid sellers who didn't offer this option) but now I find the aliexpress standard shipping to be quite reliable in that things have (so far) turned up by the indicated date (for only about $1 or so more).

PS aliexpress shipping is a newish option that wasn't there pre-covid.

1 Like

actually on this topic i just noticed that the Kogan smart switches have an obscure reference to zigbee support. the interface shown looks very Tuya wifi-ish to me, but in the datasheet it mentions zigbee. has anyone bought one of these? does it pair with HE using zigbee?
see on the product PDF below on page 13, its says "Zigbee Repeater - Yes"

hey njanda...those look pretty interesting to me too, especially because they offer a "no-neutral" version, and I think my house was wired up by a part-time sparky with an aversion to black wires (and green ones too i might add - i stuck my head up in a roof cavity recently and none of the light fittings had an earth run to it. sigh...)

1 Like

also note too these are only good for 100W...which is generally a resistive capacity so forget about using it for switching on ceiling fans or other inductive loads, no more than 10 (indoor) LED lights is all its good for. still, that use case makes up about 50% of my needs, and its a great price point :slight_smile:

if you're comfortable with non-certified, did you see these? it says US model, but is the same size shape as AUS switches, and is 110-240VAC rated.

1 Like

Depending on how old your place is it may have been done correctly. In the past a light didn't require a earth connection.

1 Like

Looks like makegood have their zigbee light & fan switches certified

4 Likes

I have their older Rf ones that have similar appearance and they have been really good. Bought because they required no neutral (optional) and certified like these are as well. So these look good apart from the minimum order size.. May try find them elsewhere

1 Like

Spotted these today - seems like a great price and plenty of stock.

Anyone know if these are Tuya based or will otherwise work in HE?

1 Like