Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

I don't have problems with ST sensors and like them for certain applications. I use many of them in my home. They are reliable and battery life is ok. Although they are larger than the xiaomi sensors and personally I don't think look as nice (both motion and contact switches that is). Their inbuilt temperature sensor is handy in both the motion and contact, plus the contact sensor is a Multipurpose sensor so is also handy for some applications..

For me if it's a single purpose I think the form factor of the xiaomi is better. For multi purpose, well the ST sensors are better. For reliability well I don't see much difference although in the past some people had problems, however the new branch of drivers seems to have reduced the problems (or is it the only people left using them are mindful of their repeaters). But the ST you don't need to think about repeater incompatibility so that may be a big plus. They do work well for me.

That’s why I use zwave for most things, Zigbee stuff is frequently much, much larger.

My contact sensors fit inside the door / frame and you can’t tell they are there from the outside.

https://capitalsmarthomes.com.au/products/aeon-labs-zwave-recessed-door-sensor-gen5?variant=32198518478&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjw74b7BRA_EiwAF8yHFERklidflAWprCVmyhq2jhnaC8KTpM-rQf5SWgDtussy-FknNuh5sxoChz4QAvD_BwE

3 Likes

Ive looked at these numerous times and keep baulking at the price.

I'm going to set up test block this weekend and see how i go routing a curved hole to fit the ST contact sensor

I have 1 aqara contact sensor which i havent had any issues with. And are good size!

2 Likes

Yeah they aren't cheap, however, if you have a decent (read expensive) z-wave mesh already they fit right in and the battery life is epic from a single CR123 battery.

The Clipsals have a lovely momentary feel for a Mechanical switch ... unfortunately I have Arteor switchplates throughout the house and there seems to be NOTHING similar :weary:

DHS In-Wall : Couldn't get mine to work with Hubitat. Was on a Vera3

I have it paired to HE and using the qubino 2 driver.
Works fine from the device page.
Only issue i have now, is that its recomended to use momentary switches, which i dont have!!

Hi @rocketwiz,

You mentioned a few months ago that you got your Ikea dimmer working using zigbee2mqtt. Did that allow you to send commands to HE, or did you manage control of devices still on something on your rpi? I want to use the dimmer to control Somfy shades I have linked to HE via a Bond bridge.

I've only used it as a HE virtual switch activated via node red/ mqtt and zigbee2mqtt. I understand that the dimmer function should work in zigbee2mqtt, but I haven't tried that unfortunately.

1 Like

I think that is what I was after / expecting, was thinking I would need to configure a virtual switch triggered from outside. Was just making sure you were triggering something on HE and not lights without involving HE.

I am thinking about buying a conbee2, but will do some more research first.

CC2531 sticks are pretty cheap compared to conbees, I've got one flashed for use with wireshark (whenever I get round to figuring out how to use it). Also probably better to get those with the external antennas for that extra bit of gain.

If you have a node compatible with your bond no reason why HE needs to be involved :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I got some zwave Dome sirens and an extra Aeotec TriSensor today so my HSM security system is almost complete.

I also ripped out our Ness security system as it wasn’t working all that well and is now redundant due to the NBN.

I just need the Iris keypad which is sitting In Sydney ATM waiting for Aus Post to extract their digits and ship it to Melbourne.

Yes, I know.... :slightly_smiling_face: I still tend to gravitate to things like the convee, I know it's not logical but bare circuit boards and loading software onto them just puts me off, although it's not beyond me. But thanks for the suggestion.

That's good to know. I'll see how I go with HE, but keep this up my sleeve, haven't really done anything myself with node.

1 Like

I found this while looking for a power source for my internal piezo screamer (driven by a 12V shelley and Scotts driver) https://powershield.com.au/product/powershield-dc-mini-ups-12v-18w/. Usually goes for around $70 and seems decent value especially when a 12v plugpack goes for about $25 (through local sources with Aus plugs not Aliexpress).

There are better value 12V SLA options but they're pretty bulky.

Anyone tried these Cygnett sensors from BigW? Apparently they are zigbee but i havn't had a chance to check any out yet. There's a motion sensor, contact sensor , button and temp sensor.

The Samsung motion sensor is cheaper (and smaller from the looks of it) and plays well with HE so I would go for them instead.

1 Like

Already have a few of them but they seem to not be in stock anymore, these are actually on sale at the moment at Myer i found for $27.

1 Like

Anyone tried these?

I like that its a double switch.
The other aliexpress switches work well, but only single switch

Cool - I might pick one up just for testing at that price!

1 Like

Free postage on Ebay with Ebay Plus aswell from the Myer store.

1 Like