Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Is there any Smart mattress on the market available to us Aussie similar to the Eight Sleep in the states?
https://www.eightsleep.com/

Thanks @SimonS !

1 Like

Did you end up creating a thread for this? If so, can you share me the link?
Thanks

No mate. Not yet. I'm getting slammed at work, so haven't had the time. The bid I'm working on gets submitted this Friday, so hope to do it this weekend. It's not hard to start. Just wanted to ponder some ground rules for posting in the thread, so we kick off on the right foot and it doesn't get inundated with unnecessary messages.

2 Likes

Anyone having any problems with smartthings motion sensors? I've had three drop off completely over the past two days. One has always been a problem and has dropped out again after sitting next to the hub to test it but the other two have been really good for months. Batteries still report around 87% aswell.

I don't have Samsung motion sensors so I cannot comment on the device itself but I do know that the Samsung buttons are sensitive if you don't have a strong mesh. I suggest rolling out some of these IKEA repeaters. I have 5 in my house. You can also use @markus drivers here.

What sort of signal do you get with your repeaters. I bought 5 the other day - have installed 4 and the signal strength in the logs are -76, -66, -76, and one has dropped off the mesh. I am using markus' drivers.

No worries at all. Work/bids definitely need to come first - now more then ever. Good luck.

First thing I’d certainly try would be fresh batteries as I find the voltage reporting to be unreliable and depending on the actual battery chemistry they can have a really pronounced Cliff effect.
Easier to flip in a new battery and NOT disturb anything else. :+1:t3::blush:
IMHO once a Zigbee device loses connection to the Hub, 2 things happen.
The device goes into panic mode as they try to reconnect to the Hub BUT If they don’t connect straight away then they’re now sucking juice faster than normal. Which of course is depleting the battery faster etc etc
Cold temperatures can dampen battery life which could start just such a cycle.

Maybe you have some pesky neighbour that is interrupting your mesh? have you completed a scan to see if there is anything present?

That's true, I like to check mine with a multi meter though rather than just replacing them so I know for certain the battery is dying just helps rule it out of the equation. That said though I have personally found some Zigbee sensors to be more sensitive than others. I was just talking to @markus yesterday about Samsung sensors and bringing them into his ever growing fold :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

All, question about zwave and zigbee. I know that it would be better to stick to one and build a good mesh for the chosen.
But does anyone has both zigbee and zwave?
I would like to know any downsides for combining these 2 together.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I prefer z-wave due to the lack of interference (run's in a licensed 920mhz band) - zigbee shares the same free RF spectrum as WiFi and can be flaky. I have some Philips Hue and it is mostly pretty reliable despite this. 90% of my house is Aeotec z-wave and it's good stuff ime.

1 Like

I personally went with Zigbee and WiFi given both are ready available globally and have a broad range of devices to choose from. The issue with Zwave is that depending on your country the frequency is different e.g. you cannot legally buy a US device and use it within Australia on that frequency, sure you could change the frequency but someone might knock on your door one day with a cease and desist order. my 2 cents anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Your opinions worth more than 2 cents to me @jchurch.
I am starting with Fibaro, which failed for whatever reason and now decided to switch to Aeotec (thanks to @SimonS!).
@jchurch, do you know whether markus is on zwave/zigbee since you mentioned he want to add Samsung sensors?

@dJOS, thanks for confirming that Phillips Hue plays well with zwave, that's also one of my device consideration. Are you using Aeotec sensors? I am planning to use multiple sensors scatter around the house and with Aetoec sensors, I can see $$$$$ is pilling up. Hence I am more towards to Samsung sensor due to cost and members mentioned that it is quite reliable.

1 Like

I have one Aeotec multisensor 6 and it is terrible.
Motion detection is really poor and the illuminance measures are not very accurate. Temperature and humidity seems ok. USB power is a plus.
I also have 2 fibaro ZW5 sensors which are much better but don't have humidity and only run on battery but can easily be modded to run off a 3v power source.

As zigbee uses the same frequency worldwide the it can be eaiser to get device to wor here and they tend to be cheaper than zwave like these sonoff devices.
You can get them for ~$15 each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001193856951.html
The new Xiaomi zigbee 3.0 devices are cheap to and work well too.
Markus has drivers for both sonoff and Xiaomi.

I live in an apartment and can pick up 16 different 2.4ghz WiFi networks and don't have any issues with interference. Zigbee channels 15, 20 & 25 don't really over lap any wifi channels so I use 20 for HE and 25 for Hue.

2 Likes

That’d be King Markus !
:joy:. @markus

Yep, I've got a couple of Tri-Sensors and a couple of Multi-Sensor 6's - they work great.

It depends entirely on how you configure them. The settings for battery use are quite different to USB powered - the latter settings update very aggressively.

I use USB and have it set to the most sensitive option for motion and I can be 2 meters away and it still takes a few seconds to react. Comparing this to my ZW5, and my zigbee sensors which all work instantly from about 3-4 meters away.
The lux reading are also not sensitive enough. The amount of times it would out 0 lux yet the room was still bright and trigger my automatons was insane.

Here are 3 sensors next to one another right now.
Aeotec, Xiaomi and Fibaro.

@markus said he would consider it one day but atm he's pretty busy with other projects and his day jobs :stuck_out_tongue: