Hubitat Elevation Platform update 2.2.3 Amazon Echo skill added support for garage door controllers

As a work around, I have a routine set up in alexa. When I say a phrase she switches on a virtual switch called vs.Garage.open.request that triggers an RM that I have set up to open the garage door and send notifications when complete or if the operation fails.

I haven’t tried the new functionality with Alexa yet. Is she able to tell you the status of the garage door now?

Tried creating a door with just the built in virtual garage door controller and that does not work with Alexa either.
Still don’t get the code option other people seem to be getting

As far as I can see there are no other options to try, would be interesting to see if it’s only me that cannot get them to work ?
Cheers

@bcopeland - Did the recent enhancements to the Alexa Skill get pushed globally, or just the United States?

Fwiw, I don't see the new capabilities in the Australian alexa app
A lot of these things are region specific by amazon

Hmm. I have been opening and closing my Garage doors with Alexa using routines all along with no code and no problem.!
Here is my close routine for one of four GDO's

Here is the routine to open the same door.

I still don't know what was added to the new skill though.

That’s how I’ve been doing it on Vera too.

Great tip, this workaround for the annoying voice code did the trick for me. Now I have to figure out how to do the success/fail status notification based on my GoControl door orientation sensor.

1 Like

Wait, can I ask a question here? Are we saying that MyQ and Alexa can be joined simply now? Where do I learn more about this? Thanks!!!

Just expose your garage door device in Hubitat to the Alexa via the Amazon Echo Skill app. It should appear within Alexa for your use. You will need to be running a fairly recent version of the Hubitat platform firmware...either 2.2.2 or 2.2.3, I can't recall which one added support for garage doors in Alexa.

1 Like

Stupid question... but what is the link between Hubitat and MyQ ? An app or driver? I've seen a few blurbs about various options but what is the latest and greatest in this regard?

Thanks!!!

I don't have a MyQ system...but if I did, I'd probably start here...

1 Like

I do, that’s the driver to use, works fine. You need to add a contact sensor so the driver knows when the door opens/closes. Chamberlain/LiftMaster doesn’t expose their sensor, so you have to add one.

Alexa integration (Amazon Echo Skill) works fine, tried it today with the MyQ Lite driver.

3 Likes

Hey Folks,

Did anyone get to the bottom of why they don't have the option to open their garage door by voice with the pin? In the Alexa app that physical option is not there through the Hubitat implementation. On my MyQ garage door it was there (since switched to GoControl to keep it local), so I don't think it was a regional thing.

I found a post from an Amazon employer which said

That said, garage doors are currently only supported for the English (US) and German (DE) skill language versions.

That was last year some time, after finding that I gave up, but would love to get it working :+1:

Can you forsake the Queen's English and set Alexa to US English? You'll have to learn to park your truck instead of your lorry and put your spare tire in the trunk instead of the boot but perhaps it's worth the effort.

That might be backwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So noted, and corrected.

1 Like

:joy:

Did try that but it seems to be linked to the account so still doesn’t work :frowning:

2 Likes

You could always simply use a virtual switch to allow Alexa to control your garage door/gate. Use a RM rule that is triggered by the change in the virtual switch to have the door activated (e.g. on = open, off = closed.) Then, expose the virtual switch to Alexa, and create voice activated Alexa Routines that allow for a natural phrase of "Alexa, open the door" or "Alexa, close the door" - then have these two routines simply turn the switch either "on' or "off".

You will also want to have RM keep the virtual switch state up to date based on the door being opened or closed by some other means.

Just a workaround...

2 Likes

The odd thing is it shows up as a garage door natively with the Alexa App on Hubitat and I can operate it by saying Alexa turn ON the garage door. It opens and then Alexa responds there has been an error...but the door opened...Weird.