Hubitat devices into Alexa

I’ll like this way, thanks

1 Like

I migrated from Smartthings to Hubitat. I also use a number of Alexa devices throughout the home.

1. All my Zigbee and Z-wave devices are connected directly to Hubitat. Although some newer Alexa devices act as Zigbee hub, I do not use it.

2. Any WiFi devices that can be connected directly to Hubitat are connected. For example, I have some TP-Link Kasa switches that use a community driver to connect to Hubitat.

3. I have both Lutron and Hue lighting. Those devices are set up with their respective hubs and then linked directly to Hubitat. Although Hue devices can be linked directly to Alexa, it is best to keep everything within Hubitat where possible.

4. I have two Hunter Simpleconnect Fans that use WiFI to connect through Ayla Networks. Currently, there is no way to connect the fans directly to Hubitat, so I connect them through Alexa.

5. I have a Logitech Harmony Hub that can be connected through Hubitat to control lighting, etc, but since I only use it to control my AV system, I have Harmony connected to Alexa, but not Hubitat.

6. I use Hubitat for all of my room assignments, routines, rules, etc. with the exception of those using the Hunter and Harmony devices. For those, I use Alexa routines. If I tell Alexa to turn on the den lights, she turns on the Hunter fan light along with the Lutron dimmer and the Hue bulbs.

Within Hubitat, download the Amazon Echo skill (not the older Amazon Echo app). Then activate the Hubitat skill in your Alexa app on your aphone, tablet, or computer. Then go into the Amazon Echo skill on Hubitat and select all of the devices you want shared with Alexa. Then go into the Alexa app and make sure the Hubitat devices and rooms are discovered.

1 Like

"Within Hubitat, download the Amazon Echo skill (not the older Amazon Echo app). Then activate the Hubitat skill in your Alexa app on your aphone, tablet, or computer. Then go into the Amazon Echo skill on Hubitat and select all of the devices you want shared with Alexa. Then go into the Alexa app and make sure the Hubitat devices and rooms are discovered."
I've done this over and over again, it simply doesn't work, I'm so frustrated.

I am sorry. I do not know what else to suggest. The method I mentioned works perfectly for me.

Do any of the Hubitat devices show up in Alexa? If so, which type?

1 Like

Don’t be sorry, you’ve done more than enough trying to help me.
Not a single Hubitat device is available to Alexa (and viceversa).

That is just weird. I would suggest disabling the Alexa skill in Hubitat and the Hubitat skill in Alexa and then start from scratch.

1 Like

Have you registered your hub with the Hubitat Cloud server?

1 Like

Take a deep breath.
This DOES work, many of us here us this approach (me included).
If it doesn't work for you, you must be doing something "slightly wrong".
Keep calm, and Hubitat on!

2 Likes

:+1:

Oh good one, I always forget to ask people if they did this. I guess I just assume everyone does this as the first step of setting up the hub.

1 Like

Isn’t that the first thing to do? Yes, I did.
Thank you for the reminder anyway.

I tried this already, no luck.

Are you the main/primary account holder on the Amazon Alexa account? Sometimes folks try using a secondary account and run into issues from the Amazon side of things.

It would be much more helpful if you could share some screenshots of what you're seeing when you enable the Hubitat Skill from within in the Alexa app. As I mentioned previously, doing so will automagically install the correct app on the Hubitat Hub, assuming everything is healthy between your hub and the Hubitat Cloud. If you're running any complex home networking/firewall configuration, that could create problems. Or if your home network is setup with Double NAT, that could be it. Please share a everything about how your network and hub are configured.

3 Likes

I’m the primary account owner on everything.
I never considered NAT/firewall settings to be the issue, I will investigate further, thank you.

1 Like

Who is your ISP? Do they use CGNAT? Can you describe your modem (brand/model) and router? Is your Hubitat connected directly to the router or through a switch (brand/modrl)? Managed or unmanaged?

4 Likes

Probably a really stupid question, are you in the United States?

3 Likes

If you can't use switch devices as an Alexa trigger and you can't control non-switch virtual devices in Hubitat, how do you change the status of a virtual contact or motion sensor in Hubitat?

Use a driver that combines a virtual switch with the virtual contact sensor...

“Virtual Contact with Switch
metadata {
	definition (name: "Virtual contact with Switch", namespace: "cw", author: "cwwilson08") {
		capability "Sensor"
		capability "Contact Sensor"
        capability "Switch"
	}   
}

def on() {
    sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on")
}

def off() {
    sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "open")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
}

def installed() {
}

Already answered in your thread specific to this question.

2 Likes

I'm in the UK