Hubitat C5 Hub Freezes every 24-48 hours

My C5 hub freezes and requires power cycle every 24-48 hours. The logs (that I can see) have ZERO information. I have emailed supported. This is the answer I got.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us, we're here to help! I checked your hub's error log and it appears that you have a stranded Z-Wave device that is bring down your hub. These devices have been likely forced removed, but they are still communicating with the hub's radio. To remove these stranded devices, you must first unplug or take the batteries out of any Z-Wave device that you are no longer using, or that is no longer listed on the Devices page.

The only details I have regarding this device, is that it was using Node ID 24.

I excluded Node ID 24. The device was never powered on during any of this time.

• I asked more than 5 follow up questions to support, like Node 24, did they mean decimal 24 or hex 0x24 because on various pages numbers are listed in different formats in Hubitat UI.
  • I asked how to access the same error logs, so I can at least debug locally.
  • I emailed twice since about still freezing and ZERO help

They won't help, they don't enable me to debug on my own. This platform is frustrating and at this point I have extreme buyers remorse with my only recourse at this point, write a forum post like this...

Also I find it a little disturbing that they can get on my hub, see logs I cannot see, etc. Maybe Hubitat just isn't a fit for me. Home automation is still a pain. End rant.

I had multiple stranded z-wave devices that brought my hub to a crawl within a day. I removed them using the process described by @MFornander here:

Edit: I should add - this process made my hubitat stable again.

Hrmm. Well I work with @MFornander .. sit right next to him (when we are not all WFH these days) I guess I should have asked him. Lol.

So I setup that and I don't see any dead devices. My hubitat and Z-Wave PC controller device lists match exactly...

Could also be a bad hub. I had a c5 die on me a few months ago. Kept locking up every day or two - with no devices and no apps on it... Just sitting there running doing nothing.

Support replaced it for me, because they are awesome.

1 Like

My hub has started doing the same thing. The only thing I have changed recently is installing the firmware updates.
Every morning for the past three days I have had to powercycle my hub because it had locked up some time during the night.
This is pretty ridiculous. Mine is a C-4 so I don't think the hub hardware matters.

The only 2 suggestions I have and you probably already thought of - swap out the power supply and also make sure your hub is not in an environment where it could be subject to overheating.

2 Likes

Neither of those suggestions would explain why it only happens while I'm sleeping.

Good suggestions. I have moved the hub 3 different locations and swapped out probably 5 different power supplies including using a high-end one I use to overclock raspberry pi 4 (2.1Ghz+).

I guess the only other thing would be to start from scratch, re-add entire house and the rules machine.. Just no way I have time for that. I would sooner move back to Home Assistant. There are so many things I like about Hubitat, but the ZERO support sucks. Especially when they won't tell how they look at the logs remotely, mine you, so that you can at least troubleshoot on your own.

Pretty awful experience right now for me.

1 Like

Ouch that stinks... another (remote) thought is erratic power - assume these are on a UPS?

Its possible its happening during the nightly cleanup cycle. This thing can be database intensive.

Try doing a backup, soft reset and restore. This will clean up a lot of the junk in the database and see if it happens again.

2 Likes

I am not exactly sure when it happens for me, as I will just go and try to perform a google home command and it be like, "Hoo-ba-tat is unavailable right now" and I have no clue how long its been frozen, but I would try something like this too and see it works.

I originally set it up on UPS, then it wasn't when I randomly moved it to different places, but yea, normally its on a Cyberpower 1U UPS 900VA with the rest of my Unifi switches and pfSense 1u router/firewall.