Hubitat and ZWave - not reliable - what to do?

Yep, @klenk that Ghost Removal document page 9 like I mention above covers this step.

I think it's the same - you are on the "{} Simplicity IDE" tab while
@neonturbo is on the "Launcher" tab - see upper right hand part of the app window.

Not the best UI design...

3 Likes

Clearly designed by engineers, for engineers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks to your help I'm now ghost-free since 9/11.

But - as I can take a resume after 4 days - that did not improve the reliability of my Hubitat-Zwave network. It's still multiple hours daily that I cannot toggle devices any more (even with the switches < 30' from the hub with no concrete walls in between). Then - all of a sudden - everything works again in the whole house.

Since I want to bring the house off grid with solar I need a reliable way of reducing power consumption in certain scenarios with turning off AC or the water heaters or the pool pump.

I'm wondering if there is a zwave device acting as a repeater but that is not working 100%. Do the failing devices have anything in common in their routing tables other than the hub itself? Like if they all rout through (making this up) device 82 then maybe device 82 is suspect?

2 Likes

I looked at your screenshots of devices. Very chatty devices most often power reporting or multi-sensors have been known to jam up the zwave on the C7. If you have any devices that report power metering, adjust the reporting intervals higher if you can tolerate it, or disable if you are not using it. Same with multi-sensors, adjust the reporting so there are not excessive reporting coming back.

Also, I see you have a bunch of AEON Labs sensors. Do you have them plugged in or on batteries? I do not have any myself but I think that is the brand I have seen people reporting certain models when paired on mains power (plugged in) they will act as repeaters and do not in fact work very well as repeaters.

This app helps to see the routing in a more logical way, you can filter by the repeater to see a list of devices that are all using the same device as a repeater. Link to App: [BETA] A Z-Wave Mesh Tool [C7 and 2.2.4+ Only]

2 Likes

I went back and looked at your z-wave table. I notice a lot of your switches are really slow (9kbps) a lot of stuff paired at s2. I would re-pair without security on everything but door locks and garage door and maybe throw some beaming repeaters in there. And as @brad5 said, Might also have a bad device in there. What's you're current z-wave table look like after you cleaned things up?

I used to have a bunch of usb powered Aeotec MS6's - they were terribly slow with routing. Something about a limited cache, dunno. One thing you can try if not using batteries is unpair the MS6 then pair it with batteries then put the USB power back in afterwards. It used to trick the sensor into not repeating. I don't know if this has changed or not with the newer MS6 firmwares but might be worth checking out if you are using usb powered MS6's

Should still work as I believe the SiL SDK requires that you re-pair the device to change repeating mode.

1 Like

Sadly, it’s not that. It’s just something with the way Hubitat is managing Z-Wave.

I set up a C5 using an Aeotec 5 Z-Stick, and was riddled with issues when issuing commands to devices. I took the same stick, moved it to a Pi, and it’s working exactly like it should from there.

I’m not sure where the translation issues are, but there’s more going on here than just the 700 series issues.

@bcopeland , if there’s any info I can provide that can help you, I’m happy to share, but this is a sad day for me, since I was really hoping my issues were mesh related or 700-series related and not something else in the stack.

I’ll also add — pairing devices was SO much better using the stick vs the built-in radio of the hub. I never had anything hang—a first, for me.

Ummm..

I’m confused here.. You mention 700 series but use C5 as a test point.. As far as the communication layers the C5 and C7 share very little code as the 700 series is Z/IP gateway based (required for certification) and the C5 is SerialAPI based..

What issues are you having and what hub / radio combination are you using?

Happy to clarify.

The C7 was experiencing the same symptoms as others have described. Even without ghost nodes, my hub would slow to a crawl when I issues batch z-wave commands. These are all pretty basic devices, Inovelli Red/Black and LZW42 bulbs. A few RGBGenie devices and those OOMI LED strips I sent your way a while back. I’d also see devices straight up disappear from my hub, despite being visible on my mesh. I know the C7 has some DB issues with the SDK from prior posts, but this is also something I’d experienced on my C5s.

When those issues started happening, I wanted to see whether the issue was on my hub’s side, or on the mesh’s side. I transitioned everything to a C5, with an Aeotec stick, got all my associations set because my wife needs lights that work while I break things, and then started testing out heavy commands for my mesh. I’d frequently see devices miss commands, experience delayed commands, etc. I took that same controller, powered down my hub, and spun up an instance of Z-Wave JS to test, where everything is working as expected.

I know I’ve got more devices than the typical user, but having everything working expectedly through ZWJS and HomeKit has been incredibly refreshing.

So, I’m not sure what data I can get for you, if any, but I’d obviously prefer to keep using my hubs than move away. But right now I’ll keep the stability of what I have and go from there so my wife doesn’t get too mad :slight_smile:

1 Like

So do you have a C7 set up now?

Sure do.

Ok.. what version is it running? .. and can you send screenshots of the Z-Wave Details page?

2.2.8, so it’s on the older DB. I can DM you screenshots. Basically overnight one or two devices disappeared from the Hub, and then it cascaded and a lot else stopped working.

Please do.. It sounds like there might be a secondary controller in the mesh or in a neighboring mesh causing havoc.. There is no way for devices to just disappear without an exclusion taking place.. Keep in mind an exclusion on any of your overlapping meshes can exclude a node if there is a NIF sent at the same time..

Lol. Made me laugh :nerd_face:

The key to a happy marriage is z-wave associations lol

6 Likes

About a month ago (maybe two - who can tell time anymore) I was having some zwave db issues and Bobby was helping me out, I had my hub off for a time out and walked into my work room and hit a switch, realized only half the lights came one, then remembered the hub was off, then click, the association turned on the second half.

I didn’t realize association was point to point. I still thought it worked via the hub. It was definitely slower, but still worked.

1 Like