Hubitat and video doorbell help

Debating on buying a nest/ring video doorbell and another company. My biggest want is for there to be an automatic stream when bell is pressed without me having to ask Alexa/google to show the front door.
Is there any hubitat or other work arounds for this? I see on YouTube people have used a spare tablet and tasker app etc. anything less complex?
May be worth it to just buy a google echo/ring or nest/nest home hub combo…

Well, If you get a Ring, you can enable desktop notifications, which will show you immediately (if you are on a screen), who is at the front door. (That's thru the Ring app, or ring.com)
Is that what you want?

1 Like

Ring doorbells will do this automatically.

1 Like

I’m looking for the smooth integration between doorbell and tablet/home hub
I’m looking at the new Kasa doorbell (love their brand) but the only thing holding me back is this integration. I know nest and ring have it but is there any way I can achieve same result with different brand doorbell? Arlo/eufy/Kasa/ etc

Is there any other brand that can accomplish this? Not exactly looking to have an echo show or google nest hub

Just about any video doorbell available will notify you on your phone or tablet, if you have their app installed. Some integrate with Amazon Alexa or Google Home devices and can either show the doorbell video or speak a notification that someone rang the doorbell.

I've used both Ring and Arlo doorbells.

I have also installed Amcrest video doorbell ad410.
The app is very good, and it has a rtsp stream which can be shown and recorded on a nas.
I believe that there is also a restful api for someone to make up an integration.

When using arlo did the feed start automatically?

Not on Alexa devices. It only supports audio alerts.

But using the app, you get a notification which shows a preview and when you click on that it brings up the live view in the app.

Ah ok!

I’m looking for something that automatically streams in case little one is home and someone rings the bell. Want them to see who it is before opening door

It all depends on the allowed integration. Arlo doesn't stream video to Alexa devices. Ring does.

Also, as mentioned every video doorbell that I know of has an app that notifies and allows you to see who rang the bell. That's the point of having the video doorbell.

Ring also has a rapid ring app to make viewing who is at the door super easy.

If you want to go super geek, so i use node-red to detect the ring doorbell button push to take a snapshot from scrypted or homebridge-ring and dump it to a directory on my web server
I also have some android tablets running Fully kiosk browser, it’s basically a full screen web browser with an API to control it. So after node-red dumps the ring camera snapshot to the web server, it tells Fully to change the displayed page to one that includes the snapshot image. Boom I can see who is at the door w/o getting off the sofa.

1 Like

Wow is this easy to implement for someone without coding experience?
Anyway to get it as a video instead of picture?

Coding experience is not needed, but you will be working with API’s to get it to work and there are a lot of hoops you’ll have to jump through like node-red, scrypted or homebridge-ring and fully kiosk browser.

I’m sure it’s possible, but a static image is easier than video and for me serves the same purpose… seeing who is at the doorbell. i also cant comment on how well it would work with video.

If you do decide to use a Ring doorbell i defo recommend checking out the rapid ring app (Ring has 2 apps) to see if it cant get you very close to what you are looking for.

If you decide to get a video doorbell that sends out a rtsp stream, then you can use the monoclecam app on a rpi to send that stream to an alexa show.

1 Like

I have Arlo cameras and they do stream to Alexa devices. I currently have a Eufy doorbell and using the Alexa integration you can create a setup to have the live stream show up on the Alexa device if the button is pressed. I have it set up on my office Show, using Echo speaks so that as soon as my front door bell detects motion the show will ask me if I want to show the stream. It worked with the Arlo doorbell I had as well. I got rid of the Arlo doorbell because the motion detection would keep staying on constant. I could reset it and it would work for about a week and then start constantly recording again. This, of coarse, stating happening about 3 months after the warranty was up.

1 Like

Didn't work for me. Would do the audio announcements but no live stream. It would always say "live stream not available". I could ask Alexa to show my front door, and that would work, but no live stream when the doorbell was pressed.

I had the same type of issue. With mine, it would randomly start alerting me to cars passing by the house even if I had it set to not alert to vehicles. In addition, the street is outside the motion area set so I have no idea why it was picking up vehicles passing by. Highly annoying to say the least. It got to the point where I grew tired of it. Arlo had no explanation, so I switched to a Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2.

One last thing. The build quality of the Arlo doorbell seems iffy. Mine started to get what appeared to be a type of delamination of the plastic above the doorbell button and around the camera. At first I though it may have been water intrusion, but it looked more like the material separating. Anyway, the device is sitting in a box now.

If you have Apple stuff another possibility is the Ring and others integrate well with Homebridge.. HE also has some bridge apps.. you can't directly access the devices in Homebridge (unless using Node-RED) but you can have virtual devices that trigger stuff in HE and vice versa.

Thinking back I don't know if I ever used the pressing of the doorbell button to start the live stream with the Arlo doorbell. I started it on any motion detected by the camera. My house sits way back from the road and I have my motion set very low. Basically I only wanted it to notify me if someone is coming up to the front door. I have other cameras for monitoring away from the house. I can't remember if the Alexa integration for Arlo included a doorbell press. It does for my Eufy but I still only use motion, I have it set the same way I had the Arlo.

Basically I use echo speaks to say "Alexa show front door camera" to the Echo Show in the office.

The Ring doorbell will stream live to the Echo show when the doorbell is pressed.