Hubitat and Smart Plugs with Energy Montoring

And to keep time. Unless you use a local NTP server.

1 Like

Believe it will function without an NTP, but you see some delay on restarts and the hub time may/will drift over time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses.
For now I have activated the Hubitat, I will consider whether to limit internet connections between updates. I reinstalled my hardware firewall and turned on threat management. While the fire wall cannot "see" my wireless devices as wireless (sees them as wired) I can set static IPs on my wireless devices so I am expecting to be able to for the Kasa smart plugs which are coming in a couple of days.
I will also look into setting up a local NTP server if it helps when I am not connected to the internet on the Hubitat.

I have been able to get my Kasa smart plugs into Hubitat but they show the original IP address even though I set static ips and my Router shows the changed IP. I may have added them in too soon since it can take the router a couple of minutes to correct itself. I am still trying to find out how to access the energy monitoring.

Edit: I did find the toggle for energy monitoring in the mobile app and turned that on.
Second Edit: I do see energy readings for current month and the last month now in the mobile app.

1 Like

Good to hear you got it up and running. Did the IP's correct themselves?

Also, are you able to confirm the version of the drivers you have installed? There was quite an important update released the last 3-4 days regarding energy monitoring (version 6.5.1). If you installed the code via HPM (or manually) in the last 1-2 days you will be fine, just wanted to make sure.

I installed the app and drivers yesterday and both show 6.5.1

I am not sure if the IPs corrected themselves, I will look again later when I have more time, right now I am not finding any IPs under devices.

Ok, good to hear you have the latest driver.

There is an option in the app to list the devices, which I believe shows the IP address as well, so you could use that to cross-check the details easily. Also, if the IPs have changed, you can also use the Install Devices option in the App to re-discover the plugs. If you still have issues, I would suggest posting on the main thread for the app / drivers.

Okay, I just went and checked, didn't realize I had to scroll way down to see the IP for a device. They have corrected themselves.

2 Likes

When I get more Kasa smart plugs do I always need to use the Kasa app to add them to Tplinks app first?

That's the process I work through, and have done in the last half hour :slight_smile:

E.g.:

Open Kasa app on your phone
Setup the plug
Log onto your router and set a static IP
Open the Kasa App on your HE hub
Select Install Devices, selecting your plug to install
Open the Device Edit page for the plug on HE
Adjust any settings as required, such as Energy Monitoring, logging and cloud binding

Simon

1 Like

This is required due to the Plug default configuration. All Kasa Devices (and many wifi/cloud devices) are delivered with the device creating it's own wifi access point (not on your network). The Phone app connects to this network and then allows you to select the LOCAL wifi for device connection to YOUR LAN. There is no automatic way in the device to choose the local access point. First, it needs the passcode you enter to connect.

After connecting to your LAN, then you can set the Static IP address.

Dave Gutheinz

1 Like

Thanks, that is good to know. Once I have the plugs in to Hubitat I can delete them from the Kasa app?

You could do that; however, I would not do that. The Kasa App is a great local backup in-case the hub fails.

One of the preferences (on the device's page) is Kasa Binding. If you pick that false (color not blue), it unbinds the device from the Kasa Cloud - no cloud control. You would still be able to control using the phone app when your phone is on the same LAN.

I also do what Dave is suggesting, leave the plugs available through the Kasa App. Like Dave mentions, it is a good backup. That is one of the reasons I like platforms like Kasa, Philips Hue, my Bond Bridge and others, they can all be used in / by my HE hub, but also through their own platform / apps, so I have redundancy there when things go wrong or even that I haven't yet configured easy access through my dashboards, etc.

1 Like

Okay, I will try to unbind but leave the control. Thanks for the help.

2 Likes