Hubitat and Hue Dimmer

Hi,
I recently acquired a Hue Bridge with a couple of bulbs (not relevant to the query) and a dimmer (relevant). I know Hubitat supports the Hue dimmer directly and my initial plan was to update the firmware on the dimmer using the Hue Bridge and then removing it and adding it to Hubitat. However, I recently read that Hubitat doesn't support all the various taps etc possible on the dimmer if it were to be used with the Bridge. Unfortunately for me, the majority of my lighting right now is made up of Yeelight bulbs directly linked to my Hubitat over LAN (they're cheaper and easier to find where I live - India).

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, is there a way to pair the dimmer to the Hue Bridge and get Hubitat to "receive" dimmer clicks from the Bridge and trigger rules accordingly? That'll give me the best of both worlds by allowing me to use all the tap configurations available natively while controlling the devices I really want to control (the hue bulbs will be installed in another room and I don't want to control them using this dimmer - might get another one for them later on).

Thank you in advance!

No. Even if there was, there would be a long delay due to Hue not pushing updates, but having to be polled every minute for any changes.

The dimmer works very similar on Hubitat as is does on Hue. Buttons 1 & 4 only support push commands without some software voodoo on the Hue bridge. Buttons 2 & 3 support push, hold, release and work well as intended for dimming up and down.
What people have trouble with, as far as I’ve seen posted, and my own personal experience, is keeping the Hue dimmers connected to Hubitat. I had problems with that initially, but solved it by adding Samsung Plugs and GE Zigbee in-wall dimmers (I also put all of my end-devices on their own Hubitat hub, separate from Zigbee bulbs).

4 Likes

@aahanmohan - I had this exact same situation a few weeks ago with sylvania bulbs as I was trying to set up and use my hue dimmer remotes with them in hubitat. @Ken_Fraleigh is correct. The Hue only supports push on buttons 1&4 (on/off) and push, hold, and release for 3&4 (dimmer up and down). Even if Rule Machine shows all actions for all buttons, it doesn’t matter. Only push events will register on buttons 1&4.

To accomplish something similar to what you were describing, I elected to basically recreate all of the hue scenes with various if/then conditions layered into the On button presses. I’m other words, I had a super long rule for button 1 Push that basically said if off then turn THESE bulbs on and set to THIS color/level, if those bulbs are on at THAT color/level then set those bulbs to this other color/level, etc.

It’s complicated, but it allows one hue button to cycle through manually-created “scenes” and then leaves the other buttons free to do other things.

Not sure if that helps you (or if I misunderstood your ask).

1 Like

To add to the above, what the staff member who wrote this driver told us is that the Hue Dimmer doesn't send separate events for multiple, successive(-ish) pushes of the "On" (first) button, so the Hue Bridge must be using software trickery to count these and act accordingly. Someone asked recently about how to do this with a Pico remote--and you can do that using similar software trickery on Hubitat. :slight_smile: The actual button device doesn't really matter, so what I wrote there might help you here:

Just a specific example of something mentioned above (plus an app I wrote to help me do this if you're interested in that, but it's also possible in Rule Machine).

3 Likes

Advanced Button Controller can cycle scenes with multiple button presses. Scenes can also be imported into HE with Robert’s excellent CoCoHue app (which would replace the built in Hue integration). I imported my Hue scenes and added them to Hubitat scenes with other non-Hue devices and have been very pleased with the results.

1 Like

@Ken_Fraleigh - that’s interesting. I’ll take a look at ABC for this. I’ve generally standardized everything to RM for consistency, but ABC may be a better solution for this. Thanks!

I’ll also check out CoCoHue

1 Like

Thanks to @stephack and @bertabcd1234 whose hard work made this possible.