Hubitat Alexa skill and linking problems

Neither one of the hubs are connected to the cloud at the moment, but the local interference should be available. Are you not able to access the local hub's interface? What about Diagnostic Tool, can you reach that, from your local network?

I’m traveling so local connections aren’t an option. I won’t be home for another week but my wife will be there tomorrow to reboot both (she only can unplug them and replug them - her head would explode if I tried to talk her through a local IP connection)

1 Like

Ok, yeah, if the hub isn't connected to the cloud, there isn't much you can do remotely. Were you trying to reconnect Alexa while away from home? That might explain the issues you were having.

Yes I was. But… why does that matter? Why would random hubs be able to connect to my account login?

That is not what you experienced. You've crossed IP addresses with someone else. If you were to click on the other hubs, the connection would have timed out. Remote Admin is really not intended for linking services remotely, it enables you to access your hub's administrative interface. Your incident shows that we may need to notify users specifically that oauth should be done from the local network, not over the Remote Admin service. Thanks for bringing this up.

Okay - got it. I think some education is in order. It would be even better to disable the remote skill linking somehow.

1 Like

How is the hub not connected to the cloud while the HomeKit integration an my remote HousePanel both still work? Is it because they both use local endpoints?

I can control lights on one hub with either app so the hub is working via local hub action calls. I don’t understand how the hub can be working at the same time the cloud services don’t work. My Internet is up in the house. I’ll reboot the hub tonight when my wife gets home but I am curious how this state can happen.

Okay folks, just closing the loop here. My wife got home and rebooted my hubs and I walked her through how to reconnect the Alexa skill so I'm all set now. Passing along a few key lessons learned here for others.

• If you are remote, don't try to reconnect the Hubitat skill. It will do weird stuff because it isn't designed for that
  • If you can't get the Alexa skill connected, remove it and reboot your hub and reconnect it and it should work

Marking this as a solved thread. Thanks @gopher.ny for your help as usual.

3 Likes

Hi Kewashi,

I got to about the same place as you through trial and error. I'd still like to know why this has happened twice in the past month for me where I've only had to deal with it once before in the whole 3 years or so that I've been on Hubitat? Are we doing something wrong or is there something toxic going on in the back end?

Marcus

If it makes you feel any better, I'm seeing the same issues. Just yesterday I had to unlink the skill and relink it to get everything working again. Seems like something must have changed recently as the reliability is less than ideal.

Yea, I agree. I was rock solid for many years and then this happened. I am back in business for now. I've noticed Hubitat has grown a lot with many new features, supported devices, and integrations to support. And with size comes complexity and SW bug risks. So my guess is we are seeing hiccups every so often more now than we saw before when Hubitat was still a small startup with support for just the most common devices and only a few critical integrations, like Alexa.

I've noticed that the OAuth seems to break on the Amazon Echo Skill every time I run a Hubitat update. I'm the kind of guy who likes to do this regularly (card carrying early-adopter), but honestly this is making me kind of nervous. @bobbyD any reason why that could be happening?