Hubitat, a reliable option for professional installers?

Unless you set up a VPN….

4 Likes

Yes agree. I only mentioned it because I didn’t see anyone reply to that one request … and of course I was try to be helpful.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your points and experiences, feel very grateful.
I understand the need of UPS, shutdown automation or very powerfull UPS options, and backups. Valuable information to me.
I have taken a look at lutron website. I would like to integrate wireless double relays for shutters to move up and down, as the apartments already have roller shutters with motor and manual switches, to get a more affordable solution. I have not seen on lutron website wireless double relays to install in conexion´-box or swith -box. Please could you tell me whether they offer this type of product. Otherwise I think I would go for shelly.
I am aware that it is required a subscription for remote maintenance. I have tested also free tailscale vpn and works fine but clients would be 10 minutes away from me so no big issue the displacement. But, is the suscription worth the warranty advantages as an integrator?

I’m not a Lutron installer, just a (very satisfied) user of their shades. But I don’t think they offer anything to retrofit another manufacturer’s motorized shades. Their motorized shades are amazing, but expensive.

I think you’re conflating Hubitat’s two subscription services. The remote admin service is distinct from the hub protect (warranty) service. There is a discount for purchasing both services though, IIRC.

2 Likes

Yes, I thouht it was the same subscription...I meant the protection subscription. Is usual that the integrators pays for the protection subscription? Here in Spain I am obligued to give to my clients 3 years warranty on the devices that I Install. I think it is worth in this situation....

I would hazard a guess that in the US at least, it’s unlikely most people installing the hub for a client would pay for remote admin themselves?

But perhaps some of the installers will chime in to clarify.

Ultimately I suppose it depends what your time is worth to you if you’re obligated to help troubleshoot after installation. It’s $3 USD a month, so for seven clients over three years, that’ll add up.

There are free VPN options as you have noted, but that’ll complicate things since each client would need another device that’s always-on and capable of running your VPN server of choice. Since they presumably don’t all have something like that in their homes already, then there’s the cost of that hardware and your time to set that up too.

If I were going to pay for that, I think I would account for that cost in some way when quoting an installation price.

1 Like

Of course!!!

1 Like

Yes, you are right. The need of that device and the fact that these apartments are very near, makes me discard the idea of using vpn.

1 Like

Many routers have a built in VPN option without the need for an external server.

2 Likes

Good point! Need more coffee this am :coffee:.

I used to use the OpenVPN server built into my ASUS router but it’s been a minute and I use Unifi gear now. They don’t yet have Wireguard built in, AFAIK, which I like a lot, so I run it on an RPi.

I think ASUS supports Wireguard natively now.

More coffee is always a good thing :sunglasses:

2 Likes

In terms of a VPN, I usually put one on my client's system for two reasons: it's good for them and essential for me to do remote maintenance.
In my humble opinion,the appropriate place to put a VPN is on the router itself. Most of the better ones have a built-in option. A close second(in my humble opinion) is to put a VPN (especially wireguard) on a SBC nearby.
With the VPN you should be able to do most remote monitoring and maintenance that is required.

3 Likes

Have been lurking.. interesting topic

I have been installing HE systems for clients for several years now. I created a baseline system consisting of one or more HE hubs + a "companion" server running Node-RED, HomeBridge and WireGuard VPN.

With this setup I have the flexibility to incorporate a wide range of things depending upon the needs of the client. Downside is I have more responsibility over the system but I am first line of support anyway and really I have not found this to be an issue thanks to the maturity of the software systems involved.

6 Likes

@Txinarro - this is the type of setup I have as well. The bulk of my automations run on Node-RED; zigbee, z-wave, and LAN devices are "paired" to my Hubitat hubs, and "exported" to Node-RED and Homebridge via the built-in Hubitat app - MakerAPI. The setup is very very stable.

3 Likes

It has the extra bonus of offloading resources - meaning the HE hubs generally run with very low overhead and pretty much never require a reboot unless upgrading.

Using a system like NR provides an "abstraction" for the device controls so one can integrate other things like MQTT to existing rules without any major modifications.

3 Likes

I have no knowledge in built-in vpns nor Node- RED stuff but interesting to me to know that you got very stable systems with it . I have to study.....

2 Likes

It is a bit of a balancing act - you want to be able to handle as many different scenarios as possible while not causing support headaches for yourself and your clients.

Stick with a standard set of devices you are comfortable with - I use Zooz, GE, Inovelli for my Z-Wave switches for example.

5 Likes

Not to derail the topic too much, but the Teleport feature in the UDM lineup uses Wireguard.

4 Likes

I pay Hubitat for remote access. It is important that they make money so that they can keep approving the product.

4 Likes

The Hubitat remote access is amazing and worth every penny. I also like to support the platform.

2 Likes