Hubconnect<>Smartthings help

New HE user here. I went through the painstaking installation process for Hubconnect and finally got my SmartThings hub to show up under "devices." However, when I tried to synchronize devices from the SmartThings end I get nothing except a bunch of errors in the logs. Here's an example:

Uunable to create device shop workbench: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Switch' in namespace 'shackrat' not found.

I did follow the instructions from Hubconnect on installing the drivers code and "HubConnect Remote Hub" does show up under drivers code.

I noticed when I go to the "HubConnect Server for Hubitat" nothing shows up under "connected hubs" - not familiar enough with the app to know if it should show my current Smartthings hub.

Any suggestions?

Just as a guess... I don't believe you're installing all the pieces.

The Hubitat Hub you define as Server needs a minimum of three pieces installed, just to get connectivity.... 2 Apps and 1 Driver.

On SmartThings, it's two pieces installed. 1 App and 1 Driver.

After installing those 5 pieces, and following the steps to share the key, you should have connected hubs but NOTHING will mirror. You need additional drivers installed for each category of device you're sharing/mirroring.

If you have "real" devices on your SmartThings hub, then in order to mirror those to Hubitat, you select them on SmartThings BUT before it can mirror, a Universal Driver needs to be installed on Hubitat. IF you have a Dimmer on ST, you can begin the sharing process but before finishing, there's a message indicating the specific drivers that need to be installed. If you make the mistake of finishing the selection without having the driver(s) installed, then you simply go back and do the selection process again. Each time the process reaches the final step, it sends a list of ALL the selected devices and will build or rebuild any that need it.

Ah ok. I assumed that the driver I already installed was that universal driver but I get what you mean. Let me try that.

Hey thanks that was it... a pain but it seems to have worked

Did you watch the Video I prepared to help people visualize the process??

1 Like

I tried but I am not a visual learner. I need it written down so I can read each step a couple times and make notes. In fairness the documentation did say about 7 times to install the device drivers but I got confused with the one I had already installed. It seems to be working great though. The only issue I've found (and fortunately anticipated) is if I now add the Alexa skill (having already added the SmartThings Alexa skill) I get duplicates, so I have to be selective on what devices I give to Alexa, so to speak.

The other mistake I made is trying to install HE as a first time user and immediately install HunConnect and WebCoRe all in the same day. I should have given each one of them a little time to settle in. Fortunately the HE support community is really understanding and responsive and helped me through my angst!

I also did one other thing that I havent seen in any documentation (though it may be there) - I went to my router's DHCP clients table and changed both the HE and SmartThings hubs to static IP assignments. The Samsung has two - one for the ethernet port and one for wifi - and I changed both. That way some sort of network event doesn't change the IP addresses of either device and break the connection.

I noticed my Aeotec multi sensor humidity doesn't come across the connection... I assume that's some sort of limitation on SmartThings?

You have to pick a HubConnect driver that has humidity as a capability, like the omnipurpose sensor driver. Install it on your Hubitat in the drivers and change it’s driver to that.

Bingo! Thanks. I should really just migrate the sensor from SmartThings to HE and be done with it but this is the easy way out.

I like the video very much. Is there any way to slow it down a bit? I have a mild brain injury, and it moves to fast for me to get it.
Thanks in advance

Did you click the gear in the lower right and set the playback speed to something more comfortable??

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 4.39.51 PM

1 Like

Thanks I didn’t know about that.

1 Like

At least this way you can take your time migrating devices over and if you have any devices that give you difficulty, then you have a working fall back plan.