Hub virtual location in Location/Modes

Hey all,

Now that we are playing with GeoLocation and getting the perimeter just right, what is the proper way to set the hub location in the Location/Modes section?

I know it might sound petty but is the location set based on the middle of the hub icon over the property or the X that appears at the bottom left of the icon.

The reason I ask is, if I really wanted to tighten up the front entrance to the property for instance, I could move the virtual hub location to the back of the property and allow the perimeter to just encircle the front of the property. With houses behind us, I don't really have any issues with entering/exiting behind cuz that wont' happen, I more interested in driving up and into the property.

Also, as folks are starting to ask for a smaller geolocation/circle, this might come in handy as well.

Thoughts?
Rick

On iOS, within the Hubitat mobile app's geofence page, you can simply click on the red pin and drag it to wherever you'd like. This will move the geofence's circular perimeter.

Is this what you're looking to do?

I have my geofencing area setup to about 200 meters around the house and still sometimes I come home and open the garage door before it recognizes that I'm home, this isn't Hubitat specific as previous Home Automation systems did the same as I think it is a reporting timing thing of the cell phone's location. So getting the GeoFencing perimeter too small will most likely prove frustrating.

Sorry, I was referring to setting the location of the hub through the hub/web portal, not the mobile app. It's much easier to see the details. For me on Android, when I zoom in, all the map detail is lost. Also in the hub portal, you can switch to satellite vs. map and it's super accurate

My goal is to move the fence to the front of the property rather than increase the size so it doesn't leak into the side roads and since the icon is quite large and the X appears to be some 10-15 feet away, it can make a difference

This should allow us to fine tune the perimeter

Rick

That will have nothing to do with the geofence of the app. They are independent. The hub location has no geofence.

Interesting @Ryan780, I assumed they were linked and since I have virtually no map details on Android 9, I was trying to use the hub location :frowning:

Thanks, Rick

What do you mean "no map details on Android 9"? I'm on android 9 and map details come up fine in the app.

The initial pin placement is based on the hub location, however once logged in, you can move the pin where ever you like.

Yes, I am zoomed in but....

Rick

Where are you located?

City of Vista, CA, right in the middle of a housing community

And this doesn't match what is show in Google Maps for your area?

What's the issue. The map is showing where exactly you are and you have the fence set really large.

The blue dot is your phone and the pin is right on the blue dot. You are in the center of the fence.

Thanks Patrick for following up

Actually, my fence is the smallest it will go, I'm just zoomed way in, trying to get my hub location exactly where I want it. Even when zoomed out, the fidelity is very low. Here is a screen shot zoomed out with the same fence size

Beyond the low fidelity, I'm good to go knowing the Hub portal location is not tied to the mobile app, I'll work with the app and go from there

Thanks again
Rick