Hub unresponsive

Sent this to support, but I thought I'd post here as well in case anyone has had similar experiences. This seems to have started happening in the last week or two:

The past week or so I've had to reboot the hub several times. Tonight, we came home to a dark house, as none of the lighting automations fired. The dashboard and web UI indicate that HSM is still armed for intrusion, but nothing triggered when we opened the door. I checked the logs and I'm not seeing any events for the contact sensors. I can see the arrival events for our phones, but the device pages do not reflect the arrival. The zigbee packets from the sensors are being received as I can watch the zigbee logging and see them come in, but events are not being generated. I opened the back and front door to test and the device pages do not show any events.

I am able to toggle lights directly from the device page, and the zigbee commands are sent and the lights turn on, but nothing changes on the device page. Turning lights on via Alexa works, but Alexa complains that Hubitat is not responding.

This is the worst it has been over the last week. All of my automations are using the built-in apps.

looks like there was a solution posted in this thread. Can't hurt to try it.

It doesn’t seem to be exactly the same. The web UI is responding just fine. I can send commands to devices, but state updates and automations don’t seem to be processing. I’ve never touched WebCORE. It sounds like the solution was a factory reset. Not sure if support can pull logs of the hub for investigation, but since manual controls are working to an extent I’ll wait to give support a chance before wiping/restoring.

Edit:

The web UI is responding just fine.

Actually, it seems to be responding faster than normal. Some process may have crashed freeing up resources... I wish we had some kind of enhanced syslog functionality...

If you do decide to reset the hub, please use the Soft-Reset procedure as this preserves all of your Zigbee and Z-Wave radio pairings with the actual devices. After the soft-reset, just restore your latest backup and your hub will be back up and running without having to recreate anything.

5 Likes

Update on this: worked with support and did end up doing a soft reset after they noticed database issues. Solved the problem for a few days. Has now reoccurred. Same symptoms: events not processed, radios live and web UI up and responsive, can control devices from device pages, but no state updates (because no events, I assume) for physical devices.

Suspecting hardware issues at this point. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? The more data points, the better.

I have never heard of an issue exactly like yours. It would help if you could please describe your Hubitat system in more detail:

-What make/model/quantity of Devices are you using?
-What Apps are you using?
-What integrations are enabled?
-What Zigbee Channel is in use?

1 Like

What make/model/quantity of Devices are you using?
Mostly Centralite/Iris outlets/contact/motion, some Hue bulbs, a couple of Lightify strips/gardenspots, Hampton Bay fan controller, ERIA remote, RGBgenie remote, nothing too exotic

What Apps are you using?
All stock apps. Rule Machine, Mode Manager, HSM, Dashboard

What integrations are enabled?
Chromecast, native Alexa integration, Sonos

What Zigbee Channel is in use?

Disabling the integrations had no effect. It seems to happen when a power outlet is reporting washer power usage. The reporting threshold is set to 1W, causing it to be very chatty. Either this is a direct cause, or the influx of events is causing this to happen more quickly than it would have normally. This did not occur prior to the updates over the summer and can now be reproduced pretty reliably, although this could be a coincidence. Working with @bobbyD, but we haven't found a root cause as of yet.

I am aware that some have issues with bulbs in their mesh. I have not had any of these issues since I got rid of (almost) all of my Links. The Zigbee packets are arriving and sending just fine even after the hub quits (quits processing events. Hub is up and running. Blue light). Sniffer shows activity as does the Zigbee logging on the hub.