When I click on Hub Events, it seems to tie up all the hub's resources while sifting through the database of entries. My hub will become unresponsive for 3-5 minutes while doing so. If I click to view another page in the list of events....another 3-5 minutes. I doubt this is normal behavior and rebooting did not resolve.
I'm running F/W 220.127.116.11. I'm pretty sure I viewed my hub vents a week or 2 ago and while it took a bit to display the events (maybe 15-20 seconds), it did not freeze up like it currently does.
I've noticed a slowdown in my hub recently when working with my dashboards. However my hub only became unresponsive for about 30 seconds while retrieving hub events, might have something to do with the 123,944 entries. Sounds like the number of events impacts the system resources required to display them.
That's part of the problem. I'm trying to see what types of events are listed but it only shows 10 at a time and takes FOREVER to navigate to the next page.
It might have to do with the type if integrations I have running. As @cuboy29 mentioned it is seems to be mainly ssdp events.
I have the following integration:
My hub came online on February 6 and I only have 93 hub events. I realize this is apples to oranges as I don't have the integrations you have setup but obviously something is logging more than it should. I would reach out to support and @bobbyD will get you fixed.
Just an update on this. It appears that the Hue Integration app is causing the frequent hub events. Still not sure why.
The log cleanup script wasn't able to keep up with the huge amount of entries and I ended up with 350,000 entries and counting. The latest f/w addresses the log cleanup issue and I'm down to 6000 this morning. The entire web interface feels much snappier now including Hub Events.
As always, thanks to the Hubitat team and their diligent bug squashers.