Hub Status During Power Outage

Yep, we are lucky. Just need a way to power a couple other items so I can have a little bit of wifi for a short time to monitor and control.

i use an apc smart ups smt 1500 with the netcard in the back and a driver i wrote for notifications and shutdown

Oh wow, thats a nice option!!! Some are really expensive though

After my power outage this morning a lot of my zigbee sensors are in stuck state. no temp change and some has motion active when their is none. My gf is home now (I am at work) and she performed a reboot through the webpage to no avail. Should I power cycle? Is this different then a reboot?

you can get a used one on ebay for around 100 .. and buy the batteries for around 60.. still expensive but under 100.. make sure it is the smt model with the slot in the back for the net card..

are you sure it rebooted.. that should have fixed it .. is it a c7.. did the light go blue then green.

could there have been power surges that fried sensors or the hub etc.

UPSes to maintain whatever you can among Hubitat, ISP gateway and your LAN in the event of a power failure is totally worth it, in my book.

There are a few ways to get notified locally or remotely when the hub is on UPS power.

The power outage may have lasted long enough that they went into a bit of a panic mode when the normal repeaters (assuming you have plugged/wired in zigbee devices too) went down.

Taking the battery out briefly from each device should help.

The sensors are battery powered, so they will be safe. I wasn't home at the time of reboot, but I did see the Exclamation point show up on the Dashboard while she was rebooting. I will have to have a better look tonight.

this is the dashboard for the apc smart ups using the driver i wrote..

good luck on getting stuff working again.

2 Likes

Yep, definitely going to look into a UPS or two. The power outage was 3 hours, so I would assume that is plenty long for the devices to panic, lol. I have quite a few Zigbee plugs scatter about.

1 Like

I recently got a pretty nice cyberpower UPS with a rackmount for a couple servers, switches and router. A network card for the UPS is a nice option and opens up a few ways to integrate with Hubitat directly. My hub is actually powered by PoE (with a splitter) from one of the switches.

If your hub came back online and the plugs had power restored, the zigbee mesh should fix itself at some point.

But any stuck sensors will probably refresh sooner if you pop the battery out and back in as I mentioned.

Ok, thanks. I have about 3 hours before i get home, maybe i'll get lucky and it will be fixed when I arrive :joy:

Must admit folks, I get a lot of quick, good feedback here. I was a ST user for several years, and their support, well, just is non existent. I am a tinkerer, and Hubitat is awesome!

3 Likes

Any chance you can share the driver? I have the same APC smt 1500.

here is the cheapest i can currently find the type of ups i am using

APC Smart-UPS 1500 SMT1500 1500VA 120 UPS Battery Backup UPS No Battery | eBay

Mighty Max 12V 18Ah Replaces RBC7 SU1400 SUA1500 SU700 APC Cartridge - 2 Pack 730052598421 | eBay

APC AP9631 UPS Network Management Card 5054484148784 | eBay

1 Like

you need to have the netcard installed in the back and configured with an ip address

it is on github/hubitat package manager

and here

APC SmartUPS Status Device - Support / Devices - Hubitat

2 Likes

Wow, those prices are not too bad at all actually. Unfortunately they dont ship to Canada :frowning:

Just an update on this post. I waited 3 hours, and the zigbee sensors refused to work as they should. Still sticking states. I restored a previous working version of my hubs setup from back up in case something got corrupted, no change. I rebooted and also done a shutdown. No change. I removed a battery in one sensor, and bingo that one sensor came back and is operating normally. It appears parts of the sensor is working, in the case of the one I removed the battery, motion sensing was working but temperature wasn't. As soon as removed replaced the battery temperature started reporting. Why won't the sensors rejoin the Zigbee network as they were before? All my sensors that are giving me this trouble after a very specific time, they are battery operated ST sensors, motion and contact. So I looked closer at the logs, and it wasn't the power outage. All of these ST sensors stop reporting after 1:50 AM' ish the previous night!!! This coincidence that my back up runs at 2:15 am? Looking for some insight as to why this happened, or what it is. Have a look at this history, all around the same time they stopped reporting.

Bathroom Window Contact Bedroom Window Contact Halway Motion Kitchen Motion

Porch Closet Motion

could one of your hardwired zigbee switches/devices they are all using as a repeater have stopped working... i had a similiar issue when i put my skis in front of a switch and the metal blocked the switch signal and all sorts of things that were using it as a repeater stopped working.. a failed device can defineately cause this..

It's possible but I have tested all my Zigbee outlets and they indeed work. In addition to that, half of these sensors are within 20 feet of the hub and worked originally without any outlets in place.

So, I just done a restore from the 18th now and i'll see what happens. I was assuming the power outage I had was the culprit, not realizing they stopped reporting a day before that.

So, no change this morning. I removed and installed the battery in another sensor and it immediately started reporting temperature. For now this is the solution. Odd why they are all connected and the motion and contact portion still works but the temperature is stuck. What would cause this?