Hub Protect Z-Wave transition - Still limited to C5 and above?

I recall when you all first started discussing the possibility of the backup/restore migration as part of your Hub Protect Service, that this would only be available for C5 or newer hardware. I didn't see any specific note to this effect in the documentation . . . is that still the case? Or have you been able to make it work for C4 (or C3) hubs as well?

Still the case. Thanks for pointing out. We will add migration compatibility to the documentation.

As discussed elsewhere, it's probably limited to the US version of the C-5 because non-US versions have a Nortek external ZWave stick, and the NVM can't be read. There might be places on the planet where a readable Stick was supplied, I imagine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As the above, are only us c5 covered in the migration tool, or more accurately hubs using the internal z-wave radio?

All C-7 hubs, and North American C-5 hubs.

Zwave in the rest of the world is at a frequency not supported by the internal radio in the C-5, and therefore requires an external dongle.

There are a few (not many) dongle based radios out that can be read..

They will look like this:

2 Likes

Ooh which one is it? Asking for a friend :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

So what does the service offer for people who use white external z-wave radios on c5?

Everything but seamless Z-wave migration. You can set up cloud backups, restore backups and migrate hubs in the Settings / Backup and Restore section of your hub interface, as well as extended warranty.

1 Like

You can migrate?

Yes, as @bobbyD said, you certainly can. Only the z-wave migration while using (most) external radios is not seamless. You can use these instructions from @bravenel for a z-wave migration to a C-7:

For zigbee, simply reset the device and re-pair it to the new C-7. It will pair with the same device-id as previously, and automations will not need to be altered.

1 Like

Really - it does not work with C5 with external Z-wave?!?!?!?!

I live in Denmark and the ONLY reason I bought the service was to migrate my z-wave devices.

Really dissapointing that this limitation was not stated when signing up to the service!!!!!!!

1 Like

It does depend on which ZWave radio USB dongle you have. There's a picture 6 messages above that you can compare to yours. If yours looks like that... then you can use the migrate service.

2 Likes

Sadly mine is not that kind...

Still think it is misleading that this was not stated when I signed up!

1 Like

Not much in my opinion....

little blurry but that looks more like the SiLabs package. The known-to-be-unreadable Nortek sticks have a little bit different shape. I think you need to get a "professional" opinion from Hubitat Support on that one. :slight_smile:

My Nortek has smooth/flat front and back. Both of my SiLabs are smooth on the back with a small recess for the label on the front.

2 Likes