Hub Protect -- Multiple Hubs to 1?

While I love and will subscribe to Hub Protect, I would love the ability to combine hubs or devices from multiple hubs to one. It would be great if we could select from the list of devices (and/or apps, etc.) to copy or move to a different hub without affecting the devices/apps on that hub (obviously taking care of duplicates along the way).

I know we can do this with Rules via backup/import, but not with devices or dashboards for example.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Do you mean for migration or daily use? Both are covered. HubProtect lets you migrate everything to a new hub. And Hub Mesh (no subscription required) lets you share devices among multiple hubs. All the capabilities of the device will be available as if it were a device directly joined to that hub, and yet it is still 100% usable on the hub it IS directly joined to.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hub_Protect#Migrate

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hub_Mesh

If you have no Z-Wave device you want automatically migrated, that doesn't even require a Hub Protect subscription. You just backup the database and restore it to the new hub. Then just join each of your Zigbee devices again and the new hub will recognize them and start using them in your rules and apps just as the old hub did.

Migration. I already use Hub Mesh. I want to move my devices from my current C-4 and C-5 and combine them onto my C-7, but the current capabilities only allow me to move one or the other. It would even be nicer to be able to select which device goes to which hub. Say you want to create a hub for each floor, but have 2 source hubs (if you had one, you could just retore the backup). By enabling the selection of devices you can create unique hubs.

Thanks,
Alan

I don't think this would be possible for devices, especially not zwave due to the fact that it copy's the hubs individual key (in basic terms). The devices are joined to that and so if you copied two only the 2nd hub devices would work. Essentially it's not rejoining the devices out in the field, just copying what they know.

You can copy over the rules though and import them so that once all the devices were joined you would just select them and they would go back in there slot's.

As a example imagine having two houses with a door key for each, 2 groups of people have there respected door keys and you want to move them to the same house. You take the lock from one house and use it in the new. Only one group of people can get in, you then swap it to the other groups door now only that group can get in. There is no way to have two locks in the same door.

I don't believe the C-4 is supported as a Hub Protect migration source, only the C-5.

I understand, but doesn't mean i didn't wish it....

This is true, except for C-4 hubs that were shipped to Australia and New Zealand with the Zwave.me adapter.

1 Like