Hub Protect Replacement Hub

But I guess you could transfer from the spare hub to the replacement hub once it arrives and benefit from the transfered hub protect service?

1 Like

Probably could do the last backup from the original failed hub. So as long as you made no changes since the 1st restore - probably would work.

I would never do that. I'd pay the $20. Lol

2 Likes

Only if you enroll the spare hub in Hub Protect. However, the original transfer will still be available.

Still slightly confused here, which is normal.

If I have protect on my current hub. It goes bad. I have a spare hub on the shelf that has never been used.

So will I be able to load that spare hub with the backup from the protect backup from the protected hub?

EDIT: never mind. Reread the posts and answered my own question.

3 Likes

I have no Zwave devices only Zigbee. I have 2 hubs and do regularly backups to my PC on both.

As I understand it Hub Protect does not restore Zigbee devices so what advantage does Hub Protect give me over just restoring the latest backup to another hub in the event of failure? I would still have to re-pair each Zigbee device in either case wouldn't I?

Another question that comes to mind.

Will the local backups be the same? In other words if one doesn't get the protect service will a local backup function the same way? Although for that price, it's worth doing.

One answer you probably didn't see, is that in your particular scenario, you should send an email to support@hubitat.com and we will help you transfer the service from the dead hub to the new one.

2 Likes

The local backup didn't change. It contains the hub's database, so you can restore apps, drivers, settings and custom code.

3 Likes

Peace of mind. You get everything but seamless Z-wave migration. You can schedule cloud backups, restore backups and migrate hubs in the Settings / Backup and Restore section of your hub interface, as well as extended warranty.

If you are like me and rarely save a backup on your local network, the cloud backup might come handy, if your hub dies. Plus you get a free replacement.

3 Likes

With this service, can I place one or both of my "mature" C-4 hubs under hub protect? And if there was a hardware failure with a covered C-4, is the C-4 replaced with the current model Hub (e.g., C-7)?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unable to Subscribe to Hub Protect

EDIT: Disregard, I was wrong. See posts below.

99.8% sure the answer to that is yes. They don't have enough c4 and c5 hubs around any more to replace in kind.

I have 2 c4 and 1 c5 if you want a like-in-kind spare though. :wink: Will be selling all 3 next week.

Dumb question... but if I am migrating from a C5 hub to a C7 hub and I don't want to pay for the subscription on the old C5 but I do want the subscription on the C7, do I have to have a subscription on both to perform the migration? I currently have 4 hubs and I am not sure that I want to pay $90 per year to cover all of them.

As of today, the service is not transferable (unless for warranty claims). So you would need to purchase a subscription for both, but only keep one recurring, for the C7 going forward. So your first year cost would be $29.99 +$19.99, then $29.99 at renewal time to only have C7 hub covered.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was hoping that since I was decommissioning the old C5 that I wouldn't have to pay for a year. I assume that I need to do the primary subscription ($29.95) on the C7 since the old C5 will be going away.

That's how I would do it, but I'm not sure it really matters.

1 Like

Great question. We will replace the hub with same model as well as offer special upgrade options available only to Hub Protect subscribers.

2 Likes

Sounds good. I think it would be worth a few bucks to get it replaced with the latest. Maybe that option could be called upgrade/replace. I don't have any particular nostalgia for the C-4 (although they have worked well).

2 Likes

Really? You have that many C3, C4, and C5 laying around to replace with same model????

If so, then I was 99.8% wrong in my previous comment. lol

3 Likes

We always had warranty replacements inventory available, even when we were out of stock. You wouldn't want users with a broken hub to be without home automation until hubs were in stock again.

6 Likes