Hub not starting properly after update

For me, every time I update, I can't even log into my Hubitat for around 15 - 20 min. I mean after the initialization. Sometimes I can log in, but then the other pages Ex: "Devices" will not load. After the first 15 - 20 min after an update, everything works great. After the .114 update I ended up pulling the plug after 40 min. On next power up it worked fine after the initial 20 min. It's kind of funny. After around 20 min after boot up all the TTS messages come through all at once, and the lights turn on in any rooms using motion lighting that I had walked through. Like if it was storing the events during the 20 min, but didn't take any action on them until the hub could catch up.

I am finding the same issue. If you try to do too much right after boot it tends to lock up the hub. Hub seemed frozen when trying to navigate around then the "zigbee netork is offline" message. After the zigbee offline message, the hub is responsive again. It's like on boot up everything start running at the same time so the hub can't handle the load.

I hope they figure this out soon. Getting annoying having to reboot multiple times.

Are either of you running Homebridge or some other non-HE native app that communicate via IP?

I've found that I need to remember to shut down Homebridge before a reboot, otherwise I get the repeated "Invalid Response from API Call" in my Homebridge terminal. Stopping at that point doesn't help. It locks the hub. I can't blame HE for this. So I shut down Homebridge and have to reboot the hub, which it does not do sometimes because this actually seems to lock it up so hard I can even get to the reboot option.

However, once it's rebooted, and a few minutes pass, I restart Homebridge and all it well again.
Yes there is a short period where the hub isn't responsive, but it's a few minutes, not 15 or more.

@cuboy29 if you're have a Zigbee off-line issue, that I think it's something else perhaps. I have no clue what I did but I was seeing the same thing (not after every reboot) occasionally, but it has gone away. I did spend some time removing custom code I wasn't using.

1 Like

No Homebridge here. I am using many of the built in integrations, but very little non hubitat code. I usually don't have any zigbee devices, but right now I have two ST outlets setup for the christmas trees. Don't think they are the issue. I have around 145 or so devices. Mostly zwave, but also using sonos, ecobee, rachio, and Lutron integrations. No errors. HE is completely unresponsive for the 15 - 20 min, then totally fine, full speed.

I've had the same issue recently. I've now removed WC so going to see if that fixes it :neutral_face:

I currently have all the integrations you have listed except for Ecobee (have one but removed it months ago when there were many issues with the integration). I also have Hue and quite a few zigbee devices.

Luckily I do not have your issue....and hopefully never do.

I have ecobee installed. Thought it was an issue before but I was wrong it’s been no problem. I don’t have Sonos, I don’t have Rachii and I only have two Z-Wave devices.

@DeveloperDavidB with that many Z wave devices I wondered if maybe one of them is the culprit. Other than pulling the stick I wonder if there’s a way to start up with Z-wave disabled to see if the issue goes away? I’ve never tried. Does it stay off If you turn it off and reboot?

After a reboot, the Hub will perform a backup, I believe. You can look at the date/times in the Backup and Restore page. How huge is your backup? Mine's showing 1.6MB and I don't have any noticeable startup delay. However, I haven't rebooted my hub for anything other than Upgrades for 4-6 months.

Wow.. how many devices do you have? My db file is 34MB now. I have less than 200 devices total.

EDIT: error on my part. My backup is 16MB.

Mine's half your backup. I just clicked Download and it took a whole minute before the File was offered for saving. I'm presuming that's the "build a Backup" time and could be compared to the "delay after reboot time" if my hypothesis is nearly correct. Obviously my hub was able to "concentrate" on building the backup just now, while immediately after a reboot, the hub has to "converse" with every ZWave device (I'm much more familiar with ZWave than Zigbee, so I'll refrain from remarking on it's "after reboot" actions.)

I have 120 devices.

My backup is 28.8 MB. I removed my 16 zone Rachio 3 integration yesterday. Rachio is smart enough on it's own and I couldn't think of anything that I wanted Hubitat to do with it.

Now I am down to 152 devices. 10 or so are virtual so I guess around 142. Six are Sonos zones. Planning on adding 4 Nest Protect on Wed.

Im not overly worried about this issue because It does smooth out and performs as expected after the 15 or so minutes. I was just curious if it is like this for everyone, and I guess it's not.

I guess the size of the db really comes down to how chatty devices are. I wish there is a way I can limit the number of Events stored for each device. For things that I want to track data for, I would rather use InfluxDB for it. But will it really impact the performance of the HUB if the DB size is kept smaller?

Yeah.. I thought so too until i found a use case. I want the sprinkler to turn on when motion is detected in my back yard. Helps keep pest and deer away. But you're right... I am not sure why integrate things like that and thermostat scheduling. I'm sure Ecobee can manage it programs a lot better than me.

2 Likes

That's a good use case! I have deer in the backyard almost daily. However for some reason or another they don't eat any flowers or do any damage, just eat the grass. They like my neighbors roses, but walk right by ours.

And on teenagers coming home late, trying to sneak in.. :smiley:

2 Likes

Brilliant!!

I would never have thought of this myself. Critter Deterrent Rule will be built tonight. Thanks @cuboy29.

Remember to not tell it to turn ON if the outside temperature is too low. Wouldn't want broke pipes in the yard :slight_smile:

Or a skating rink . . .

2 Likes

I have no problem with a locked hub when updating the hub while using Homebridge. Homebridge is running in a Docker container on a Synology NAS. My Hubitat database backup is about 7 MB.