Hub Mesh

Yes. In Alexa they have a long name but I refer to the short name and it works. I like it this way because the name tell me where the physical device is which I find useful yet in Alexa you refer to the short name. Perfect!

Sometime can see the trees for the forest.

I went into one of the devices and saw I could edit the device name. Totally forgot about the label just below it.

:sweat_smile:

Yes I see the benefit of this as well. Thanks.

I put a chainlink emoji at the end of my shared devices' Label so I can easily distinguish and that doesn't bother Alexa either.

1 Like

That’s very good to know.

And of course I only asked this question after reading through the CSS docks on how to change what’s shows up for the title of an tile. Lol.

#tile-2 .tile-title {
visibility: hidden;
}
#tile-2 .tile-title:after {
visibility: visible;
text-align: center;
content: 'vp.Steve.home';
}

#tile-3 .tile-title {
}
#tile-3 .tile-title:after {
content: 'vs.Follow.me';
}

#tile-5 .tile-title {
}
#tile-5 .tile-title:after {
content: 'Garage Door';
}

#tile-51 .tile-title {
}
#tile-51 .tile-title:after {
position: absolute;
left: 2px;
right: 2px;
content: 'Laundry';
}

#tile-52 .tile-title {
}
#tile-52 .tile-title:after {
content: 'Workshop';
}

I can do that, but that would also mean device label will not be editable locally. It's one or another, I'm not adding an extra tuning parameter, so better be sure :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m ok with it being editable just like it is ... now that I have been educated.

@gopher.ny I’m seeing some weirdness with hub mesh. I have some virtual switches that are on hub1 (which are used in the alexa skill), those switches are then shared with hub2 (which is connected to devices over radio). The state of the virtual switches aren’t changing, but the rules on hub2 keep getting triggered with the same command, in this case “off”. this seems to be happening every 2 minutes or so.

It seems as though the hubs are syncing virtual switch state every 2 minutes and it is causing rules to be triggered. I don’t know if there is an issue with my topology or a bug in hub mesh or what.

thanks

This came up a few times. Yes, there's a full sync going on every 2 minutes (by default) to make up for potentially missed messages. Refresh interval can be set using URL /device/hubMeshFullRefreshInterval/123 to a value between 60 and 3600. I'll add an "off" option + some UI on top of it.

1 Like

can’t that be done on a per device basis?

i still want my bulbs and physical switches to sync, but not the virtual switches that I use to trigger automations.

Maybe. I can see value in selectively disabling synchronization in other scenarios, like with shared mobile devices. Let's see how much work that involves.

3 Likes

I'm having problems with a device's state synching across hub mesh. When I change the value of a GV on hub1, it takes several minutes for the state change to show up on hub2. I assume this is not expected behavior?

I've tried UDP and TDP. Makes no differences. I'm running an Orbi mesh router. I've tried with and without IGMP--also makes no difference.

Any ideas? This is messing with a bunch of my automations....

So does this act like a real mesh and offloads the work to the closest hub or is it literally a mirror of your devices only virtual?

Only Virtual.

1 Like

Hub Mesh does not appear to work if one hub is connected to the network via a Powerline adaptor. I have a C5 and a C7 hub and when they are wired directly to the router both hubs see the other as "Active Hubs". If I move one hub, either the C5 or the C7, to a Powerline adaptor leaving the other one connected directly to the router the C5 will not see the C7 as an active hub. However the C7 will continue the see the C5 as an "Active Hub". Both hubs continue to work just fine, with all network connections, devices etc. no matter if they are wired to the router or the Powerline. Just no Hub Mesh. Any ideas?

I believe that Hub Mesh using multicast packets. And I believe that some powerline bridges restrict multicast.

Switch to tcp?

Thanks for they replies.
Both hubs are using udp.
I don't think the power line is restricting mulicast. The C7 hub can "see" the C5 hub no matter what the configuration but the C5 can only see the C7 if they are both connected directly to the router. Kinda strange and I can't figure it out.

Depends on the make of the adapter a quick Google search for powerline multicast brings up a whole host of issues depending on the brand. Some have resolved the issue flashing openwrt firmware. There are definitely known issues with multicast over powerline.

A possible alternative if running an ethernet cable or wifi dongle doesn't suit your needs would be a moca bridge. Basically bridge over coax. They're probably up to version 3 or 4 by now.

1 Like

It looks like both aalyar and lewis.heidrick were probably right about the multicast. After reading more reviews (TP-Link TL-PA9020P) they seem to have an incomplete implementation of multicast. I will try firmware updates but I don't have much faith it will work.

Thanks for the info guys. A great forum.

5 Likes