Hub Mesh questions

Biggest question is how shared devices will now route themselves.

My main c7 hubitat is in my home, centrally located. I recently purchased a second c7 hubitat and it is now installed in my detached garage/shop. Nearly all of my devices are in the main home. The only device I currently have that is closer to the garage than the house is an outdoor light switch that controls my yard light on the service pole.

Currently I have to run a zwave repeater in my home close to a window so that the signal can reach the switch on the service pole. The outdoor switch is probably 50 feet from the repeater.

Well the service pole switch is only 10 feet from the location of the new hubitat in the garage.

If I share the service pole switch in hub mesh will the new hub's radio begin controlling it? Do I need to simply run a zwave repair and it will reassign itself to the new radio? Remove device from main hub and assign to garage hub?

You have to exclude the switch from the "main" hub then join it to the "shop/garage" hub. Then you can share it from the "shop/garage" hub, and from the "main" hub you can link to it. At that point you can include the light switch (on the shop/garage hub) in the automations that you have on the "main" hub. The light switch will show up on the device list on both the "main" hub and the "shop/garage" hub. You can only edit the device (switch) from the hub that it is joined to (in this example, the "shop/garage" hub).

5 Likes

The "Hub Mesh" feature is simply using the LAN to connect two hubs together to share devices between the hubs. There is no merging of the two hub's Zigbee or Z-Wave mesh networks.

8 Likes

Use case for anyone that may wonder. Because of HE evolution we ended up with 3 hubs. Having a separate hub for ZW, ZB, and one just for dashboards/integrations/community apps.

My "Apps" hub has no devices connected to it. All 'devices' are provide by "Hub Mesh" or integrations. With it I can add all devices to dashboards, charts, and apps all in one place. Leaving the device hubs to focus on device commands only. Required no, work well, yes!

1 Like

I'm glad to hear you are happy with that configuration. That is the direction I am headed.

1 Like